Indiana football finalizes strength and conditioning staff hiring under Cignetti

spiufbbstrengthbrief010924.jpg

Indiana football announced Tuesday afternoon it’s finalized hiring the athletic performance staff with four new additions. 

The Hoosiers, led by head coach Curt Cignetti, officially hired Nate Adams, Carl Miller, Jared Myatt and Julian Whitehead to their strength and conditioning department, which is run by director of athletic performance for football Derek Owings. 

Adams was an assistant strength and conditioning coach at James Madison University and now follows Owings, Cignetti and several others to make the transition from Harrisonburg, Virginia, to Bloomington. He previously worked in the NFL with the New York Giants and collegiately at The Citadel. 

Miller joins Indiana after four years at the University of Wyoming, preceded by stints at Colorado State University and Mercer University. He spent the last two as Wyoming’s associate head coach of strength and conditioning. 

Indiana gets Myatt from Lake Oak High School in Watson, Louisiana, some 20 miles northeast of Baton Rouge. He was the Eagles’ director of athletic performance, implementing training systems for the football and baseball programs. 

Myatt worked as the director of strength and conditioning at Northwestern State University from 2017-2019 before heading to Texas Tech University as an assistant strength coach. 

Whitehead played two years at the University of Mississippi before transitioning to athletic performance, spending time as an assistant at both Ole Miss and the University of South Carolina. He joins Indiana after three years as an assistant strength and conditioning coach at Utah State University. 

Follow reporters Matt Press (@MattPress23) and Dalton James (@DaltonMJames) and columnist Daniel Flick (@ByDanielFlick) for updates throughout the Indiana football offseason.