city politics

Rep. Greg Pence announces retirement from Congress

capenceretires011024-jpg

Republican U.S. Rep. Greg Pence is the latest member of Indiana’s congressional delegation to announce he will not run for reelection to Congress, following in the footsteps of fellow members Rep. Larry Buschon, Rep. Jim Banks and Rep. Victoria Spartz.  

Pence, brother of former Vice President Mike Pence, was elected to represent Indiana’s 6th Congressional District in 2018. He announced his retirement from the House after three terms in a statement on X, formerly known as Twitter, Tuesday morning.  

“In 2017, I ran for Congress because I was Ready to Serve Again,” Pence said in his statement. “As a former Marine Officer, I approached the job with purpose. After three terms, I’ve made the decision to not file for reelection.” 

Pence said his team will focus the rest of his 2024 term on delivering constituent services. 

“To the voters in Indiana’s 6th District – it is a privilege and honor to represent you in our Nation’s capital,” he said in the statement. 

Pence is the second member of Congress to announce their retirement this week, after U.S. Republican Rep. Larry Buschon of Indiana announced on Monday he would not run for reelection. The decision was unexpected, with Buschon previously saying he intended to run in the 8th District at least once more in 2024. Buschon was first elected in 2010 and served eight terms.  

In addition to Pence and Buschon, U.S. Republican Rep. Jim Banks of Indiana is running for the open U.S. Senate seat left behind by U.S. Sen. Mike Braun, who announced in 2022 he would run for Indiana governor. Braun seeks to replace Gov. Eric Holcomb, who will depart this year due to term limits.  

Banks notably penned a letter to IU President Pamela Whitten Nov. 15, 2023, requesting Whitten and other IU administrators provide answers to a list of questions he had about allegations of antisemitism at IU since Oct. 7, 2023.  

U.S. Republican Rep. Victoria Spartz, who represents the 5th District in Indiana, announced in February 2023 she would also retire from Congress after seven terms to spend more time at home with her family. However, Spartz told the IndyStar in December she may reconsider running for reelection.