Historical powerhouses to collide as Indiana men’s basketball hosts No. 2 Kansas

spiubbpreview121523.jpg

For some programs, basketball just means more. Saturday afternoon, two of college basketball’s most historical and influential programs will face off as Indiana men’s basketball hosts No. 2 Kansas University. 

*** 

After Dr. James Naismith drafted the original rules of basketball in 1891, he accepted a position at Kansas to be campus chaplain and gymnasium director in 1898. He then fielded a basketball team and coached the program for nine seasons. 

Naismith compiled a 55-60 record in his tenure — the only coach in Kansas history with a losing record. However, he paved the way for one of the sport’s most successful programs and was the head of a long line of legendary coaches, including his successor Forrest “Phog” Allen. 

In the 132 years since Naismith created the game, basketball evolved far past the days when peach baskets were used as rims and dribbling was prohibited. The game has rapidly grown into a global phenomenon and now attracts millions of viewers.  

After Naismith’s tenure, Kansas started its domination of the sport. Now, it’s the winningest collegiate basketball team — although up for debate due to vacated wins — and possesses four NCAA National Championships. 

Indiana and basketball have become synonymous. In fact, in 1925 Naismith himself acknowledged that while he invented the first rules in Springfield, Massachusetts, it was Indiana that became the origin and center of the sport due to the passion and craze the state held for the game. 

Additionally, the Hoosiers have great success of their own. Indiana’s five title banners gleam throughout Assembly Hall and the program is established as one of the most recognizable brands in the sport. 

*** 

The Jayhawks have title number five on their minds. The No. 1 ranked team in the preseason, they strut into Assembly Hall with a 9-1 record including wins over then-No. 17 University of Kentucky, then-No. 7 University of Tennessee and then-No. 4 University of Connecticut. UConn beat Indiana by 20 in the Empire Classic.  

Kansas is led by a familiar foe of the Hoosiers. Senior center Hunter Dickinson transferred to Lawrence after three seasons with Michigan, where he went 2-3 against Indiana and averaged 18.6 points and 8.4 rebounds per game.  

The 7-foot-1 lefty has taken his game to the next level with Kansas. Through 10 games, he’s averaged career highs of 19.4 points and 12.6 rebounds per game.  

The Jayhawks lost their top-2 leading scorers from last year but reloaded with Dickinson and returned a key part of their core. Kansas returned its other three starters and relies on other transfer portal pickups and freshmen in this year’s campaign. 

The Jayhawks are coming off a strong 2022-23 season — one Indiana ran right into the buzzsaw against. Kansas went 28-8 while earning a No. 1 seed before losing in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. It hosted Indiana on Dec. 17, 2022, and cruised to an 84-62 win, a game senior guard Xavier Johnson broke his foot and ended his season in. 

Prior to their Dec. 9 loss against Auburn University, the Hoosiers were rolling. Following the 28-point beatdown, however, Indiana has one last chance for a resume-boosting non-conference win that can speak volumes in March. Indiana’s highest-rated win out of conference this season is Wright State University — ranked No. 142 at KenPom. 

“When you experience a game like that, only thing you can do is go back and go to work,” Indiana head coach Mike Woodson said about the Auburn loss in a zoom presser Friday morning. “I don’t know where we are until we tip it up (Saturday) at 12:30. Hopefully our work this week will pay off and we’ll see where we are.” 

Johnson’s availability is still in question and his return could make an impact. The Jayhawks lead Division I with 22.1 assists per game, orchestrated by maestro senior guard Dajuan Harris Jr. Conversely, they average 12.7 turnovers per game, and as Indiana’s primary perimeter defender, his presence could elevate the Hoosiers’ containment. 

Indiana’s front court is its biggest asset, and a strong performance could heavily assist keeping the contest tight. In its lone loss to then-No. 4 Marquette University, the Golden Eagles outscored Kansas 46-26 in the paint en route to a 73-59 final score. Sophomore center Kel’el Ware and sophomore forward Malik Reneau pace the Hoosiers with scoring marks of 16.7 and 14.8 points per game, respectively. 

Tipoff is scheduled for 12:30 p.m. from Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. It will be available to watch on CBS. 

Follow reporters Will Foley (@foles24) and Matt Press (@MattPress23) and columnist Daniel Flick (@ByDanielFlick) for updates throughout the Indiana men’s basketball season.