A guide to Bloomington gyms

sphousingandlivinggyms111523.jpeg

Trying to find a place to work out? Look no further, as this is a guide to some of the top gyms in the Bloomington area. 

Firstly are the gyms on IU’s campus. The Student Recreational Sports Center is a popular choice. Located on 1601 Law Lane, the SRSC is free for students, although Crimson Card identification is necessary, and has weekday hours of 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.  

It offers strength and cardio areas, racquetball and basketball/volleyball courts, an indoor track and exercise studios among other options. Its weekend hours are 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Fridays, 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Saturdays and 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Sundays. 

Also on campus is the Bill Garrett Fieldhouse. Found on 1025 E. 7th St., the Bill Garrett Fieldhouse is a popular site for recreational sports. It offers two strength and cardio areas, 10 basketball/volleyball courts, multipurpose gyms, an indoor track and more. 

The indoor track, tennis courts and Gym 293 have weekday hours of 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. The courts and strength gym have weekday hours of 6 a.m. to 8 a.m., 11:30 a.m. to 1:25 p.m. and 4 p.m. to 11 p.m. 

There are several CrossFit gyms in Bloomington. Two of the most popular spots include Hoosier CrossFit and CrossFit Bloomington, which offer rates ranging from $139/month to $169/month. 

Hoosier CrossFit is located at 340 S Walker St. Suite B and is open six days a week, closed on Sundays. It has staggered hours ranging from 5:30 a.m. to 8 p.m depending on the day. It offers a CrossFit class, personal training and ‘quickfit,’ a shorter version of CrossFit. 

CrossFit Bloomington is also open six days a week, closed on Sundays. Found at 1850 S. Walnut St., its hours range from 5 a.m. to 10 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. to 7:50 p.m. It offers CrossFit classes, personal training, athletic development and nutrition guidance. 

Orangetheory and Planet Fitness are two well-known franchises that have locations in Bloomington. 

Planet Fitness is located at 3477 W. Third St. It is open 24 hours for seven days a week and requires a subscription, with the basic subscription costing $15/month and the ‘PF Black Card’ option at $24.99/month with more access. Planet Fitness offers several strength and cardio workout areas. 

There are two Orangetheory locations in Bloomington: 210 E. Kirkwood Ave. and 2894 E. Third St. They offer different hours, as the Third St. location is open 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. on weekdays and 6:45 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. on weekends. The Kirkwood location is open 6 a.m. to 7:45 p.m. weekdays and 8 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. on weekends. 

Orangetheory offers a series of workouts including rowing, cardio and strength training in each class. It has three different subscription packages: basic, elite and premier, which are priced at $69/month, $109/month and $169/month. 

While these aren’t all the gyms in town, as there are around 20 gyms total in the area, these gyms are a few great options. They are all affordable for students and have accessible locations.