city crime & courts

IU East professor arrested in Ohio human trafficking crackdown operation

Crime Filler

IU East professor Ramesh Karki was arrested Sept. 27 in Ohio as part of a statewide human trafficking crackdown called “Operation Buyer’s Remorse.” Karki, 44, is an associate professor in the mathematics department at IU East, according to IU East’s website. 

Karki was among 160 people arrested during the crackdown operation. 

He was booked into jail in Dayton, Ohio. He was arrested on a soliciting charge and was released on bond. Although the charges did not provide details about the nature of his offenses, the Ohio Attorney General said that individuals were arrested for seeking or engaging in prostitution 

According to a press release from the office of Ohio’s Attorney General, “Operation Buyer’s Remorse” sought to arrest individuals looking to buy sex and identify survivors of human trafficking. The operation took place Sept. 25 -30 across the whole state of Ohio.  

“Those arrested come from all backgrounds, including an EMT, nurses, educators, retirees, former law enforcement officers, self-employed individuals, delivery drivers, and others,” the press release read. 

The youngest individual arrested was 17 and the oldest was 84. The full list of arrested individuals is available in the press release. 

Angela Barnes, interim vice chancellor of external affairs at IU East, did not respond to requests for comment.