campus student life

Best on-campus study spots: a guide to productive learning

cahousingandlivingstudyspots-jpg

With colder weather just around the corner, it can be easy to stay in your room to study. However, studying in your room can have major effects on one’s ability to learn and retain information. According to the American College of Healthcare Sciences, studying in bed or your room can limit focus, decrease productivity and hurt your ability to fall asleep.

Studying in an appropriate environment is vital for effective learning. Determining your optimal study conditions is the first step towards finding the perfect study spot. Some students thrive in bustling public spaces, while others require serene surroundings to avoid distractions. Temperature preferences may also vary, with some desiring warmth to stay cozy and others preferring cooler environments to remain alert. Proximity to classes or food are other factors to consider.

Finding the perfect space for studying can take some trial and error, but here are a few spots to get your search started:

Herman B Wells Library

• Undergraduate students can reserve study rooms in the Learning Commons Study Rooms (West Tower), accommodating up to eight individuals.
  • Floors one through 10 in the East Tower offer desks and study tables for individual or collaborative work. Higher floors tend to be quieter, as they cater primarily to graduate students.
  • The library features the Bookmarket Eatery, an all-you-can-eat dining option for students with a meal plan.
  • This is a great option for students who are looking for a quiet space to work.
  • Operating hours: 8 a.m.-midnight Monday-Thursday, 8 a.m.-8 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Saturday, 11 a.m. -midnight Sunday.

Kelley/School of Public and Environmental Affairs Library

• Located on the first floor of the SPEA building in room PV 150, this library primarily serves students from the Kelley School of Business and the O'Neill School of Public and Environmental Affairs.
  • Students can reserve study rooms, and if unavailable, tables are located in the library and each floor of Hodge Hall.
  • This is a great option for students looking for a quiet space to study. 
  • The Balance Room in Hodge Hall provides a tranquil space for relaxation and wellness.
  • Operating hours: 8 a.m.-midnight Monday-Wednesday, 8 a.m.-10 p.m. Thursday; 8 a.m. -5 p.m. Friday; noon-midnight Saturday-Sunday.

Franklin Hall

• The common area of Franklin Hall provides comfortable seating and tables, offering an excellent view of a large screen showcasing sporting events and newscasts.
  • This location can be quite loud at certain times of day, so this location is better for those who can study with distractions.
  • Operating hours: 7:30 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 7:30 a.m.-5 p.m. Friday, closed Saturday-Sunday.

Indiana Memorial Union

• This location provides access to computer labs, dining options and study spaces, offering a comprehensive study experience.
  • The Indiana University Bookstore holds all of your academic needs, with everything from pencils to notebooks to calculators.
  • The IMU is best for students who can work with distractions. This is the loudest study space on the list.
  • Operating hours: 7 a.m.-11 p.m. daily.

There are many more great study spots around campus, so here are some honorable mentions: The Wright Education Library, the Neal Marshall Black Culture Center Library, the William and Gayle Music Library and the Sciences Library.

In addition to finding a study spot, it is important to change where you study occasionally. According to the American Psychological Association, always studying and reading in the same location and concentrating on one subject for hours don’t promote long-term learning. By exploring different study spaces and avoiding your room, you can enhance your long-term retention abilities and maintain a healthy study schedule.