sports swimming & diving

Indiana men’s swim and dive to compete at Missouri for tri-meet Wednesday

spiusdpreview102423.jpeg

The Indiana men’s swim and dive team will compete in a tri-meet against the University of Missouri and Auburn University at 10 a.m. Wednesday at the Mizzou Aquatic Center in Columbia, Missouri.  

Coming off a record-breaking season in which they swept all the Big Ten Conference post-season awards, the Hoosiers are picking up right where they left off for the 2023-2024 season.  

The team had a vigorous win over Kentucky at the season-opening meet on Oct. 4 at the Counsilman-Billingsley Aquatic Center.  

Freshman swimmers Ahmed Hafnaoui and Mikkel Lee made outstanding debuts for the Hoosiers with their first collegiate wins. Lee finished his day in the 400-freestyle relay as the opening leg for the second place finishing quartet. In only 49.51 seconds, Lee had the fastest opening leg of any swimmer in the relay and was only one of two under 50 seconds.  

Hafnaoui won the 800-meter freestyle by 16 seconds and then placed second in the 200-free with a 1:49.63. He then finished his medley with a win in the 400 freestyles.   

Ahead of the upcoming meet, the Indiana men’s swim and dive team has dominated Missouri in all five prior meets. The last time the two squads matched up, the Hoosiers won 165-125. In the latest meet Missouri fell short against Alabama 118-180 on Oct. 20.  

When facing Auburn, though, the Hoosiers have never won and are seeking their first meet win against the program. So far this season, Auburn is ranked number 10 in the CSCAA Men’s Top 25 and coming off a successful meet in the War Eagle Invite. All groups stood out in their performances but Auburn captains Aidan Stoffle and Kalle Makinen showed out during the 50 back, clocking in under 23 seconds. 

The Hoosiers seek to continue this season’s winning streak and work toward their first win against Auburn at the tri-meet Wednesday.