sports wrestling

Indiana wrestling picks up All-American in transfer portal

spiuwrbrief090823.jpeg

After spending five seasons with Minnesota, Indiana native Brayton Lee has committed to spend his final year of collegiate eligibility with Indiana wrestling. Lee entered the transfer portal Aug. 27 and announced his plans to transfer to Indiana in an Instagram post Monday night.

During his tenure with Minnesota, Lee achieved remarkable milestones, including a championship performance at the prestigious Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational. He earned the distinction of NCAA All-American twice, solidifying his status as a standout in the collegiate wrestling world. 

Prior to his collegiate career, Lee compiled a record of 160-1 at Brownsburg High school, capturing three state titles along the way. His high school accomplishments also include a Junior Freestyle National championship in 2018. In 2019, He represented the United States at 70kg in the Junior Freestyle World Championship, where he placed 15th.  

However, his past two seasons with the Gophers were plagued by injuries. In the 2021-22 season, despite a promising start, Lee suffered a season-ending injury during the Ohio State dual Feb. 11. The following season, despite starting as the No. 2 in the individual preseason national rankings, he faced uncharacteristic losses and, once again, had his season cut short due to injury at the Big Ten Championships, where he went 0-2. 

Lee's transfer to Indiana presents an interesting lineup question for head coach Angel Escobedo. The team already boasts nationally ranked wrestlers at 149 lbs. and 157 lbs. With Lee's addition to the Hoosiers' starting lineup, it becomes apparent some of the team's top talent will need to adjust to different weight classes to accommodate Lee's presence. 

Lee adds an exciting dimension to Indiana wrestling, promising a season filled with excitement and a quest for success, as Lee seeks to capitalize on his final year of collegiate wrestling.