crime & courts bloomington

Former IU student found guilty on four charges related to Jan. 6 insurrection

cajanuary6092623.jpg

Former IU student Antony Vo was found guilty of four trespassing charges related to the 2021 insurrection of the U.S. Capitol building. Vo was last enrolled in the spring of 2020 for neuroscience.

In accordance with a verdict form submitted in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia on Sept. 22, Vo was convicted by a jury on the subsequent charges:

• Entering or remaining in a restricted building or grounds;

• Disorderly or disruptive conduct in a restricted building or grounds;

• Violent entry or disorderly conduct in a Capitol building or grounds;

• Parading, demonstrating or picketing in a Capitol building.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation received multiple tips suggesting that Vo was present in the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021. On this day, the Capitol was breached by hundreds of individuals who were protesting the outcomes of the 2020 election and unlawfully gained access to the U.S. Capitol while members of Congress were in the process of confirming the election's results.

The FBI received multiple tips indicating that Vo had shared pictures and videos depicting him in Washington, D.C. and inside the Capitol building following its breach by rioters on Jan. 6 on his Facebook and Instagram profiles.

[Related: UPDATE: Indiana Supreme Court Disciplinary Commission submits misconduct charges against Rokita]

One tip originated from an individual who had previous connections with Vo during their time at IU, while another tip came from a person who had attended high school with Vo at Hamilton Southeastern High School.

According to court records, both informants affirmed that they identified Vo as the individual featured in the D.C. photographs and stated that Vo had a reputation for engaging with conspiracy theories. They also noted that Vo was an avid supporter of former President Trump and adhered to libertarian ideologies.

The FBI used images and videos extracted from Vo's Facebook and Instagram accounts, which depicted him in both Washington, D.C. and within the Capitol during the insurrection.

According to the same court documents, Vo had written in a conversation with a friend on social media, "President [Trump] asked me to be here tomorrow, so I am with my mom LOL." In another exchange, Vo stated, "My mom and I helped pause the vote count for a while."

According to a court minute entry, Vo's sentencing is set for 10 a.m. Dec. 18 in Washington D.C. Nearly 20 residents of Indiana have faced charges in connection with the events of Jan. 6, according to MyWabashValley.