OPINION: This week's hot takes

ophottakes022823-illo

Danny William: Air conditioning is one of the best things the United States has to offer, but man does it get annoying sometimes. Does every business need to keep their store at 60 degrees in the summertime? They’d save so much money by just turning it down a bit. Consider this a cold take, because I’m freezing out here. 

Elizabeth Valadez: Take celebrity deaths seriously. Angus Cloud’s passing isn’t about “Euphoria” or what it means for its new season. It’s about him and his family. 

Jared Quigg: The press should not be subject to the market. Journalism is a public good and thus should not exist solely to create shareholder value, should not be threatened with extinction when it no longer can create shareholder value. Non-profits and state ownership are the answers to these problems, particularly the latter in the long-term. Reforms, of course, must be made to the state itself; it must become more democratic, more transparent, otherwise there will be no trust in a state-funded press.  

Natalie Fitzgibbons: Life should be more than a 9-5 job. How did we end up making work a priority? How is that a life well spent? Time is precious and should be prioritized by spending time with the people we love and by actually living.  

Isabella Vesperini: Waffles are so much better than pancakes. Pancakes have a strange smell and aftertaste that make them unappetizing. Waffles are more refreshing, soft and better-smelling too. They also have a more homey and sweet taste, especially when you add chocolate chips and maple syrup.  

Gentry Keener: Pizza crust should always be dipped in honey. Every pizza restaurant should have honey on the table. If you have never heard of this before, it started at a pizza restaurant in Colorado called Beau Jo’s Pizza. It has migrated throughout Colorado but even still, not every pizza restaurant has honey; which I think should be a crime. And it’s taking too long to spread to other states. I need the honey on my crust while in Indiana. It is seriously the best combo to ever exist.