bloomington

Bloomington to host event honoring gun violence victims at courthouse Saturday

cawearorangepreview053023-jpg

The city of Bloomington will host a memorial event honoring victims of gun violence at 4 p.m Saturday, June 3 at the Monroe County Courthouse. According to a city of Bloomington press release, the event is part of Wear Orange weekend, a movement honoring those who have been impacted by gun violence.  

The event aims to raise awareness about gun violence and recognize gun violence survivors in the Bloomington community, according to the press release.  

Wear Orange weekend will take place from June 2 to June 4. According to the Sandy Hook Promise, June is gun violence awareness month and June 2 is National Gun Violence Awareness Day. Each year Wear Orange hosts events during National Gun Violence Awareness Day and the following weekend. During this weekend, many people wear orange to honor those killed and wounded by gun violence, according to Wear Orange

[Related: Indiana family commits gift to study gun violence at IU School of Public Health]

Family members and friends of Hadiya Pendleton — who was shot and killed at 15-years-old on a playground in Chicago in 2013 — organized Wear Orange on June 2, 2015, which would have been Pendelton’s 18th birthday. Pendelton died a week after performing with her high school band at former president Barack Obama’s second inauguration, according to ABC 7. Friends and family wore orange — symbolizing the color hunters wear for protection — and gathered at the park where Pendelton was killed to celebrate her life and the lives of others impacted by gun violence.

People can find more information and sign up to attend the event here.