NTT IndyCar Series heads to Lone Star State for PPG 375

spindycarpreview033123.jpg

The NTT IndyCar Series is back in action after a long three weekends off and heads to Fort Worth, Texas for the PPG 375 at noon on Sunday at Texas Motor Speedway. After a hectic yet entertaining season-opening race on the Streets of St. Petersburg, Florida, Chip Ganassi Racing’s Marcus Ericcson ended up in victory lane.  

After 2022’s edition of this race, it seemed like IndyCar and Texas Motor Speedway were headed for a breakup, the four-year contract between the two that was signed in 2018 was set to expire. On September 14, 2022, though, it was announced that the IndyCar series would be returning to the 1.5-mile oval as a new contract was agreed upon. 

In recent years, the track has struggled with attendance due to a combination of low-quality races and COVID-19. The quality of racing at Texas in recent years has declined due to the PJ1 traction compound that was applied to the track for the NASCAR series to try to increase passing opportunities for the stock cars. According to RACER prior to last season’s race at Texas, the track had attempted to remove the compound from the racing surface, but remnants of the compound are cemented into the surface, causing the corners of the track to be stained.  

In terms of this year’s race — seven past Texas winners are included in the field — there are a couple drivers that stand out as favorites heading into the weekend.  

Chip Ganassi Racing’s Scott Dixon is a favorite in every race on the IndyCar circuit, but especially at Texas Motor Speedway. “The Iceman,” as Dixon has been dubbed, has won an impressive five times at Texas over his 20-year career and will be looking for win number six on Sunday. 

Having won twice at Texas since 2019, defending race winner, Josef Newgarden of Team Penske, is another driver to watch come Sunday. Newgarden passed his Team Penske teammate Scott McLaughlin on the last lap in last season’s race at Texas and will be looking to bounce back from a dreadful 17th-place finish in the season opener in St. Petersburg, Florida. 

If Dixon and Newgarden can avoid any wrecks or pit road penalties, I think they will be the two drivers to beat. Another driver to keep an eye on is Team Penske’s Scott McLaughlin. After nearly winning at Texas last season, he went on to an average finish of 7.8 on the oval tracks. Once again, I think Marcus Ericsson will be a factor on Sunday as the 2022 Indianapolis 500 winner had an average finish of 5th on ovals last season. Although I have listed four drivers to keep an eye on, I predict that Arrow McLaren’s Patricio O’Ward will be in victory lane on Sunday.

The stars of IndyCar will return to the track from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. on Saturday for the first practice. Qualifications are set for 12:15 p.m. on Saturday with a high line session following, taking place at 1:45 p.m. IndyCar has decided to schedule the high line session to try to help lay rubber down on the high line to increase passing opportunities. Final practice is set for 2:30 p.m. on Saturday with the PPG 375 going green at noon on Sunday.