Bodies of missing IU students recovered in Monroe Lake

calakemonroe041823

On the fourth day of the search for two missing IU students, the bodies of Siddhant Shah, 19, and Aryan Vaidya, 20, were recovered from Monroe Lake on Tuesday.  

The Indiana Department of Natural Resources had searched for the students each day since they disappeared under the surface of the lake Saturday while swimming with friends.  

The DNR press release said the bodies were found in 18 feet of water east of Paynetown Marina.  

The two students were on a pontoon boat Saturday and anchored the boat to swim in the lake. According to a previous DNR release, friends tried to help when the two students did not resurface but they were not able to find them.   

Lieutenant Angela Goldman told the IDS that winds were high on Saturday and worsened the following days, which interfered with sonar technology and prolonged the search. Intense winds can affect currents in lakes, creating dangerous conditions for swimmers.

According to IU spokesperson Amanda Roach, Shah and Vaidya were both students in the Kelley School of Business.  

Editor's Note: If you or someone you know needs support, counseling is available through IU Counseling and Psychological Services. The CAPS crisis line at 812-855-5711 is available 24/7. 

The IDS is putting together an obituary for Siddhant Shah and Aryan Vaidya. If you have any memories or information about Shah or Vaidya that you would like to share, please contact us at news@idsnews.com