arts little 500

COLUMN: Simple ways to relax and recover from the Little 500 weekend

entselfcare042023-illo

Here at IU, we love an excuse to party. The Little 500 is the best one we have, from the rambunctious bicycle races to its cameo in the movie “Breaking Away.” It’s important to recharge after these festivities, especially with finals season right around the corner. Here are a few tips to combat those feelings of fatigue. 

Make some pasta 

Chances are that once Sunday morning rolls around, some students will feel hungover. One of the best ways to ease the symptoms is consuming carbohydrates. Not only will it help with the bad physical feelings, but it will also help abate feelings of anxiety for the week ahead. Cooking can raise self-esteem as well as create good food. Taking some time to make an easy pasta dish just might be the comfort you need after a busy weekend. 

Doodle 

Studies show that doodling can help ease anxiety. Why not pick up a page and start drawing while working to decompress from the chaos of Little 500? Doodling can even be used as a form of artistic journaling, allowing you to create a stream of consciousness without necessarily writing words. If it sounds too intimidating, try printing out a coloring sheet. Coloring pages can work hand in hand with meditation and mindfulness, further easing any negative emotions. 

Related: [COLUMN: Here’s 5 ways to combat Dead Week dread]

Eat some leafy greens 

Some studies have shown that foods high in B vitamins, like kale and brussel sprouts, might help ease hangover symptoms. Pill supplements can get expensive quickly. Instead, just pick up some broccoli or mushrooms for a healthy and helpful side dish. Why not incorporate them into your pasta dish? 

Watch a comfort movie 

This is my personal favorite way to relax at the end of a long weekend. Psychologists even recommend watching familiar movies to help ease feelings of anxiety or depression. Movies like “School of Rock,” “Josie and the Pussycats” and the whole Studio Ghibli collection are available on HBO Max — which is free for any student who lives on IU’s campus. 

While none of this is revolutionary, it’s important to take a step back and take care of your well-being. It’s cheesy to say that there’s only one you, but it’s worth it to make sure that you’re being kind to yourself especially after the eventful Little 500 weekend.