Toxic waste from train derailment in East Palestine to be transported to Indiana

catoxicwaste030223.jpg

The U.S. Enviornmental Protection Agency decided Monday to transport the toxic waste from the hazardous train derailment in East Palestine, Ohio, to a landfill in Roachdale, Indiana, according a Indy Star article.  

EPA officials had already approved shipments to two agency-certified cites in Ohio. It was announced on Monday that an additional site in Ohio, and the one in Roachdale, Indiana, would be receiving some of the waste, according to the Indy Star article.  

[Related: Black Student Union discusses environmental injustice at Money, Minorities and Mother Nature event]

In a statement on the Indiana State Government website on Tuesday, Gov. Holcomb said, “I continue to object to the EPA Administrator’s decision,” he said. “Further, there has been a lack of communication with me and other Indiana officials about this decision.”  

It is unclear how much and what type of toxic waste is being brought to Roachdale, according to the Indy Star article. 

Roachdale is about 45 miles west of Indianapolis, and the landfill is about seven miles outside of the city. The landfill is run by Heritage Enviornmental Services, and it is certified by the EPA to handle hazardous waste. 

[Related: Despite compost signs, IU hasn't composted since the COVID-19 pandemic]

In the past, Heritage Enviornmental Services has violated environmental regulations. In 2017, “EPA alleged multiple hazardous waste violations at the Heritage Environmental facility in Indianapolis,” according to its 2017 news release.  

In 2018, Heritage Thermal Services Inc., a subsidiary of Heritage Environmental Services, “...violated the Clean Air Act at its hazardous waste incinerator located in East Liverpool, Ohio,” according to a 2018 U.S. Department of Justice news release.