OPINION: Fighting through spring semester blues

opmonotony032323-illo

Ever since the spring semester started, I spend my time counting down the days until summer break. And coming back from spring break has made that yearning for summer grow even stronger. I had a taste of being free from the never-ending cycle of classes, assignments, quizzes and exams, and I am dying for another taste.  

Summer could not come fast enough, but we need to learn how to get through these next six weeks without hating every second of it.  

To begin to cope with what I call the spring semester blues, you must utilize the free time that you have. It may seem like your routine has taken over your entire life, but it most likely has not. Between work, classes, and assignments, spending your free time on activities that bring you joy is essential to move through the motions.  

Watching TV is an activity that I find to be very enjoyable. I can turn my focus onto a fictional world in which my real-life problems don’t exist. I love starting new series, but I know that can feel like a task in and of itself. So, try watching a comfort show. Rewatch a show that you know you enjoy watching. Part of the fun of rewatching shows is that you remember plot points you had forgotten, and you may notice elements that you didn’t catch the last time you watched. This can also be applied to movies, but I am more of a TV person.  

[Related: OPINION: Stop stressing and start reading]

Another pastime that makes the days go by easier is listening to music. One of the great things about music is that you can listen to it while completing seemingly mundane tasks. My walks to class would feel hollow without music. Music helps me to romanticize my life. A walk to class is not just a walk to class, it’s actually me as the main character in the next Netflix original about a college student. Or it’s me in a music video. Imagining these fake scenarios makes tasks a lot more enjoyable. It is also a way to escape from reality for a little while and utilize your imagination. 

If you desperately want something new in your life, consider picking up a new hobby. This can be a great way to break your current, monotonous cycle. Think about something that you have always wanted to try but haven’t gotten around to. This could be drawing, learning a new instrument, singing, reading and numerous other hobbies. If you haven’t tried these out of a lack of spare time, start small. Taking just 10 minutes out of your day to try something new can be refreshing. It can also tell you if that hobby is something you wish to pursue. If it isn’t, then try a new hobby until you find one that sticks. This can take time, but it is worth it.  

Something that always puts me in a better mood is spending time with friends. Ask someone to have dinner together, see a movie or hang out around campus. You can also rant to your friends about your struggles in getting through the semester. Sometimes just getting your feelings out is cathartic. If your friends are not in Bloomington, set up a FaceTime or Zoom call and have a virtual hang-out session. It may not feel as good as seeing them in person, but it is still enjoyable to be able to talk to your friends in any capacity. 

[Related: OPINION: A love letter to arts and crafts]

A way to have some kind of escape while also being academically productive is to try working on schoolwork in a new environment. This may not work for everyone, as I am a person who is the most productive when at home. But the refreshing feeling of being in a new space is sometimes worth the risk of being less productive.  

If your brain just won't get off the topic of summer, use that energy to make summer plans. Planning a vacation, an experience or a hangout with friends gives you a specific event to look forward to as the final days of the semester pass.  

Many students are coping with the spring semester blues; you are not alone. Find value in things outside of your school routine, and it will make these next six weeks pass by so much faster.  

Ravana Gumm (she/her) is a freshman studying journalism.