sports softball

Indiana softball sweeps Purdue, extends win streak to 18

spiusbrecap032923.jpg

Indiana softball was tasked with a tough doubleheader on the road, stepping back into Big Ten play against Purdue (15-16) on Wednesday after a 9-1 victory against Butler University Tuesday evening.  

Throughout much of the 16-game winning streak, Indiana has been able to score early and often, but in the first game of the doubleheader against the rival Boilermakers, Indiana found itself down 5-1 entering the fourth inning. 

Although the Hoosiers were able to get put a run on the board via a sacrifice fly from senior utility player Cora Bassett, Purdue was able to score five runs off two RBI doubles and an RBI single. 

Entering the fourth inning, Indiana’s offense had only totaled one run on two hits but exploded in the top of the fourth, scoring five runs on five hits. Sophomore infielder Brianna Copeland launched a solo home run to lead off the inning, her fourth of the season. Indiana’s third run of the game was scored by freshman utility player Avery Parker after getting hit on the helmet on the throw from the center fielder while approaching third base. The ball deflected off the wall by third base and back into the field of play, allowing her to cross the plate.

Following the unusual scoring play, Bassett hit an RBI single to left field to drive in junior shortstop Brooke Benson for the fourth run of the game. Freshman infielder Taryn Kern mashed a two-run home run later in the fourth inning, her 13th on the season, giving Indiana a 6-5 lead. 

After two scoreless frames, the Hoosiers were able to put crucial insurance runs on the board by way of Kern’s 14th home run of the season and an RBI double from Copeland. Sophomore pitcher Heather Johnson held the Boilermakers scoreless in the seventh inning to secure the victory. 

In the second game of the twin bill at Bittinger Stadium, the Hoosiers' hopes of extending their win streak looked bleak. With the offense unable to manufacture any momentum going into the fourth inning, Indiana faced a 3-1 deficit after giving up a sacrifice fly and a two-run home run. Despite scoring a run after Parker was hit-by-pitch in the first inning, the offense squandered an opportunity to jump on senior pitcher Alexa Pinarski early, leaving the bases loaded.  

The offense had only totaled one hit through four innings, a solo home run from Copeland in the top of the fifth cut the deficit to 3-2. After holding Purdue scoreless in the fifth, the Hoosiers regained the lead in the sixth inning with aggressive baserunning from Benson to score as sophomore outfielder Taylor Minnick reached base safely on a fielder’s choice. Immediately following, Bassett came in to score on an RBI groundout from sophomore first baseman Sarah Stone to give Indiana a 4-3 lead.  

In the seventh inning, a solo home run from Parker gave the Hoosiers a crucial insurance run to increase the lead to 5-3. In the bottom of the seventh inning, the Boilermakers were able to cut the deficit to just one after a solo home run from fifth-year pinch hitter Alex Echazarreta. But a groundout to Benson secured the Indiana victory. 

The Hoosiers have tied the program record for the most consecutive wins, 18, set in 1983. Team 50 has an opportunity to break that record Friday at Andy Mohr Field against Ohio State, kicking off a three-game set with the Buckeyes. All three games this weekend will be televised on B1G+.  

Follow reporters Austin Platt (@AustinPlatter) and Dalton James (@DaltonMJames) for updates throughout the softball season.