Bloomington under wind, flooding advisories Friday

caflooding-png

Bloomington is predicted to experience flooding and heavy winds Friday, with the National Weather Service issuing multiple severe weather warnings for southern Indiana. 

According to the National Weather Service, rainfall rates in southern Indiana have been around 0.5 inches per hour Friday, causing an influx of flooding across the state. Cities across central and southern Indiana, including Bloomington, were placed under a flood watch around 10 a.m. Friday. The flood watch will remain in effect through late Friday night.  

The National Weather Service also issued a flood warning in Monroe, Brown, Jackson and Lawrence counties Friday morning. The flood warning will be in effect until 4:45 p.m. Friday. The flood warning states the flooding of rivers, creeks, streams and other low-lying locations is ongoing or expected to begin shortly. The report indicates possible rainfall amounts of 1 to 2 inches in the warned area. 

A wind advisory is in effect in Bloomington until 1 a.m. Saturday. The National Weather Service reported winds from 25 to 35 miles per hour Friday with gusts up to 55 miles per hour across Indiana.  

In severe weather, Protect IU recommends residents do not drive over flooded roadways or through water or walk through rushing water. Drivers and pedestrians can monitor the Indiana Department of Transportation’s website for hazardous conditions and road closures.