opinion politics

OPINION: This week's hot takes

ophottakes022123-png

Danny William: Modern-day political campaigning seriously sucks. Stop with the meaningless speeches. Can we bring back William Henry Harrison’s awesome advertising campaign of rolling a massive ball for hundreds of miles to promote himself? If someone came through my town with a ball covered in campaign slogans, I would probably end up voting for them. (The band They Might Be Giants also covered one of Harrison’s amazing campaign songs, which mentions the ball.) 

Joey Sills: The world needs more public trash cans. I would argue that this is really a broader issue that relates to things like walkable cities, more publicly funded amenities, etc., but if we’re thinking strictly about trash cans it’s clear there’s a huge lack of them in cities and on college campuses specifically. Not only am I convinced they would help reduce litter, and thus make our environment safer and prettier, but the manpower required to change the trash would help create more jobs — which would, ideally, be well-paying and backed by a strong union. 

Carolyn Marshall: Rainy days have a specific kind of relaxed vibe that sunny days can’t provide. There's something special about telling yourself “I can’t be productive and be outside today, so I have to sit in my room and drink tea and read.” Especially if it includes a summer storm rolling in, the cold breeze contrasting with the usual hot weather hits different. 

Jared Quigg: Every single living president belongs in prison at the Hague. There are none righteous, no, not one. It’s insane to me that Obama can drone strike a wedding in Yemen, or Bush can lie the U.S. into a war in Iraq, or Clinton can bomb a Chinese embassy in Belgrade and they can all not only walk the streets but are celebrated by so many people.  

Elizabeth Valadez: I love Penn Badgley. I know “You” is not technically supposed to perpetuate his character, Joe, as someone who should be sympathized with. But it does – and it’s problematic. Viewers should not be arguing over which character is more “bad,” or over Joe’s possible non-guilt solely due to his sex appeal.  

Audrey Vonderahe: The 2020 Hulu original miniseries, “Mrs. America,” is one of the most compelling portrayals of the counterculture feminist movement that has been made thus far. The cast is stacked: Cate Blanchett, Rose Byrne, Uzo Aduba and Elizabeth Banks star in the excellent drama. The two starring actresses give stellar presentations. Blanchett’s depiction of anti-feminist and anti-ERA activist Phyllis Schlafly is layered and conflicting, and Byrne’s performance as feminist and pro-ERA activist Gloria Steinem is equally worthy of acclaim. Highly recommend! 

Leila Faraday: Oat milk is the worst tasting non-dairy milk, and I struggle to see its value. You are essentially drinking a blend of vegetable oil and water. Try soymilk if you’re serious about a nutritious and far more delicious replacement for cow’s milk. I recommend the Trader Joe’s brand, as it only has two ingredients.