arts music

Pep up your two step: local performances this week

entshowguide011823-illo

Welcome back! Here is all the information you need for Bloomington’s music scene from Feb. 22 to Feb. 26: 

18+ activities 

Tickets are selling fast to see Youth Revolution and Big Hair at 6 p.m. on Wednesday at the Orbit Room. Single tickets are $6 and table reservations for four are $15. 

Girls Rock Bloomington presents the Black History Month open mic at 6 p.m. on Saturday at the FAR Gallery, located at 505 W. Fourth St. The event will feature food by Small Favors, a reading by poet and professor Ross Gay and a performance by local band Foredaze at 7 p.m. The open mic portion encourages black performers, regardless of age or identity, to share their pieces that speak to who they are or connect with their fight for equality. While the event is free to attend, there is a $10 suggested donation. 

Related: [COLUMN: ‘The Last of Us’ episode 6: this must be the place

The Arcadia is back, hosting a show with local punk-metal crossover bands Perfect 10, Purple Hearse, Foxbody and Cone at 8:30 p.m. on Saturday at 317 E. 15th St. With tickets at just $5, it’s sure to be the show to attend this weekend. 

Ready for an exclusive hardcore show? Local bands Purple Hearse, Foxbody and Fear the Fishmen are set to perform a limited-entrance event at 7:30 p.m. on Sunday at Jefferson Street Music Studio. In order to attend, you must RSVP by Wednesday to Purple Hearse’s Instagram and pay the $7 cover. With an event this exclusive, it’s sure to be incredible. 

21+ activities 

Riding the new wave of country, Hailey Whitters will be stopping in Bloomington at 8 p.m. on Thursday at the Bluebird. Tickets are on sale for just $15. 

Back for another round, local bands Six Foot Blonde and Too Many Cooks will rock the stage at 8 p.m. on Friday at Blockhouse Bar. Tickets are $5, a complete steal to see these two legendary bands. 

Related: [COLUMN: Get your head in the books, check out Monroe County Public Library

Magic fans unite! Wizard Fest, a wizard-themed party featuring one-of-a-kind cocktails and enticing wizard games, will take place at 8 p.m. on Sunday at the Bluebird. Tickets start at $15 with a $55 VIP package that includes an exclusive shirt and a handmade wand. 

Indianapolis goth band Angel-Maker, alongside local independent bands Superlunar and Swan Wash, will be playing at 8 p.m. on Sunday at Blockhouse Bar. Tickets will be $10 at the door. 

Future forecast: budget for big bands 

Lesbian indie rock icon Snail Mail will be playing at 7:30 p.m. on May 1 at the Vogue in Indianapolis. Tickets range from $25 to $30.