bloomington

Hamilton announces activation of new nonprofit corporation in Bloomington

canonprofitannouncement011523-jpeg

Bloomington Mayor John Hamilton announced the activation of a new 501c3 nonprofit corporation, City of Bloomington Capital Improvements, Inc., on Jan. 13. According to a city of Bloomington press release, CBCI will focus their efforts on improving arts, technology, jobs and housing in the city. 

According to the same press release, CBCI will be involved in city projects including the Buskirk-Chumley Theater, Waldron Arts Center and the Trades District, which includes the planned federal EDA-funded Tech Center. CBCI will also be involved with housing opportunities in the new Hopewell neighborhood downtown.  

A five-member board of directors will govern CBCI to ensure the fulfillment of charitable, educational and other public purposes in Bloomington, according to the press release. A draft of bylaws and a conflicts of interest policy have been shared with members of the Bloomington City council which aim to attain a transparent and accountable corporation.  

“Activating this nonprofit will let us pursue very significant opportunities with the focus and attention needed to help maximize our community’s opportunities and potential,” Hamilton said in the press release.  

The press release stated next steps include appointing CBCI board members and working with Bloomington City Council to explore funding options and potential property transfers. City departments currently working on initiatives that will become CBCI’s future work will partner with CBCI to ensure full participation and engagement with community interests.