student life

Aimie DeLeon named new assistant director of student lifetime engagement

castudentlifenewpositions012623.png

Aimie DeLeon will be joining the IU Student Foundation as its new assistant director of student lifetime engagement on Jan. 30.  

DeLeon was formerly a special events director for a catering company located in Indianapolis and an assistant marketing director for IU Athletics.  

DeLeon aims to work with the Students Helping Students campaign to strategize ways to improve philanthropy on campus year-round during cycling events. 

The Students Helping Students campaign is hosted through the IU Student Foundation and raises awareness about available campus resources for students, specifically those struggling with food insecurity. The main resource they share with students is the Crimson Cupboard, a pantry offering free and healthy food to IU students who are food insecure. 

[Related: How IU organizations are fighting food insecurity on campus]

“How I want to go about that is working with the students, hearing their ideas because I know there’s a great group of them already, mentoring them and advising on what we can do to build more of a philanthropic campus,” DeLeon said. 

DeLeon graduated from IU in 2016 with a bachelor’s degree in tourism, hospitality and event management. As a student, she was involved with the IU Student Foundation as a general body member and served on the steering committee. 

“I got to meet new people and experience new things, so to be able to go back and fulfill this role that’s totally new, I’m really excited (to take) on the challenges of what this will look like and working with the students again,” DeLeon said. 

[Related: 'Smart Fridges' are providing healthy food options on IU's campus]

In this new position, DeLeon will expand IU Student Foundation’s strategic objectives to raise money to fund student scholarships, increase awareness of student resources throughout the university and work with the Students Helping Students Campaign to support the Crimson Cupboard according to an IU Foundation news release

“This new position is to really help us focus on the student engagement side of philanthropy and helping IU students understand that they don’t have to wait until they’re settled into their careers to make an impact on their community and their campus right now,” Director of the IU Student Foundation Trent McGee said. 

CORRECTION: This story has been updated to specify that DeLeon is the assistant director of student lifetime engagement.