Rollercoaster offense costs No. 15 Indiana men’s basketball 91-89 loss at Iowa

spmbbrecap010523.jpg

No. 15 Indiana men’s basketball entered its full Big Ten slate at Iowa after 15 days off during Winter break. What started out as an offensive clinic ultimately turned into an offensive nightmare for Indiana, thanks to shaky half-court sets and a lack of late-game execution. The Hoosiers lost a 91-89 heartbreaker to the Hawkeyes, bumping them to 1-2 in conference play.

The Hoosiers got out to a 28-7 lead within seven minutes of play, shooting nearly 85% from the field. From senior forward Trayce Jackson-Davis' dunks, to graduate forward Race Thompson’s hook shots to freshman guard Jalen Hood-Schifino's 3-pointers, everything was falling for Indiana.

Indiana’s “Big 3” early on provided an undeniable spark that was reminiscent of the 17-0 run that the University of Arizona had used to ultimately decide the Dec. 10 matchup between the two teams. Hood-Schifino made two 3-pointers and dished out four assists during the seven-minute span.

Jackson-Davis, who had not played since Indiana’s loss at the University of Kansas Dec. 17, looked strong down low, notching 7 points with two dunks. Thompson’s performance –– 9 points and three rebounds with a team-high +16 –– was especially impressive, considering his lackluster outings this season.

But everything changed in a matter of minutes.

At the 4:27 mark, Thompson went down with a severe knee injury. His possible return to the game was later ruled out, delivering a major blow to the Hoosiers.

The tearful Thompson limped off the floor with the help of his teammates, leaving a scoring, rebounding and much-needed energy void in Indiana’s lineup. Thompson had also drawn the defensive assignment of Iowa star junior forward Kris Murray and held him to single-digit points in the first half.

Indiana’s half-court offense crumbled without the veteran presence of Thompson in the frontcourt. Junior forward Jordan Geronimo and freshman forward Malik Reneau each saw extended minutes in his place, but foul trouble and turnovers quickly became an issue.

[Related: What Mike Woodson’s past reflections tell us about Indiana men’s basketball’s loss to Iowa]

With graduate point guard Xavier Johnson indefinitely out while recovering from foot surgery, Thompson ruled out of the game and Jackson-Davis experiencing obvious back discomfort, Indiana needed a leader to step up and create scoring opportunities.

Thankfully for the Hoosiers, Jalen Hood-Schifino answered the call. The freshman played one of his best games of the season, finishing with 21 points, 9 assists and a steal in 37 minutes. He shied away from the previously-successful pick-and-roll action in the second half –– in large part due to an absence of the 6-foot-8 Thompson in the low block –– but Hood-Schifino's weaving pull-up game drove the Hoosier offense for a large stretch.

Still, Iowa chipped away at Indiana’s once-massive lead and took it for itself with less than 10 minutes to play. Back-and-forth play resulted in another crucial run for the Hoosiers –– this time a 12-2 showing with 3:48 to go.

Woodson and his staff’s first test came at the 2:39 mark when the game was tied at 84 apiece, and Jackson-Davis was the obvious target for any offensive action.

Instead, the following sequence consisted of a missed 3-pointer from Galloway, three made free throws by Iowa and only one of two made foul shot attempts from Jackson-Davis. The Hoosiers were down by one point after forcing an Iowa shot clock violation with 20 seconds left.

Woodson called a timeout, only to draw up a futile sideline out of bounds play. The ball moved its way around the perimeter a few times, Hood-Schifino was blocked on a fading desperation drive and Jackson-Davis never touched the ball.

Iowa iced the game with four made free throws, and Indiana never even had the chance to tie the game. The game ended in utter disappointment, and the difference between the Hoosiers’ opening run and concluding meltdown was shocking. Especially without Thompson, who played an integral role in the offensive explosion at the outset, Indiana looked lost on offense with no reliable way to get the ball to its All-American.

Woodson has always emphasized the importance of defense, which was a Hoosier staple last season. This year, though, giving up 80-90 points has become all too familiar, and they’ve lost a lot of the identity they so heavily relied on in Woodson’s first year.

Between Jackson-Davis not getting touches at the end of the game and an overarching lack of structure on offense, the Hoosiers have fizzled out of championship contention thanks to a lack of execution and preparation.

It might be time for Indiana to reevaluate its priorities.

Follow reporters Evan Gerike (@EvanGerike) and Emma Pawlitz (@emmapawlitz) and columnist Bradley Hohulin (@BradleyHohulin) for updates throughout the Indiana men’s basketball season.