Indiana man arrested, facing felony charges for Jan. 6 Capitol Breach involvement

cajan6120422.jpg

Dale Huttle, a 61-year-old man from Crown Point, Indiana, was arrested on Nov. 9 on felony charges for his actions during the Jan. 6, 2021, breach of the U.S. Capitol, according to a release from the FBI. 

Huttle was charged in a criminal complaint filed in the District of Columbia. He is accused of assaulting, resisting or impeding officers with a dangerous weapon, interfering with law enforcement officers during a civil disorder and related felony and misdemeanor charges.  

Huttle’s nephew, Matthew Huttle, originally from Hebron, Indiana, was arrested on Nov. 28 in Boise, Idaho. He is charged in the same complaint with misdemeanor offenses, according to the release. 

Related: [IU experts reflect on Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol]

Court documents allege Dale Huttle and his nephew Matthew illegally entered the Capitol grounds on Jan. 6, 2021. They then were allegedly involved in at least two violent altercations with law enforcement officers on the Lower West Terrace, according to court documents. 

As a mob of rioters began to remove bike rack barriers intended to secure the area around 2:05 p.m., Dale approached the front of the crowd with a long, wooden flagpole. He swung the flagpole at officers, striking at least two of them, according to the same release from the FBI. Later, Dale engaged in another violent altercation as he grabbed an officer’s baton, reportedly yelling “surrender!” to the officer.  

Matthew simultaneously made his way into the Capitol building, entering through doors near the Senate Wing. He is believed to have left the building and then re-entered minutes later. He then remained inside the Capitol for another 10 minutes, according to the release.  

Related: [Rep. Trey Hollingsworth votes in favor of commission to investigate Capitol riot]

Dale Huttle has been released pending further court proceedings in the District of Columbia. Matthew Huttle’s first court appearance is scheduled for later this week in Idaho, according to the FBI. 

The case will be prosecuted by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia and the Department of Justice National Security Division’s Counterterrorism Section, according to the release. 

The FBI’s Indianapolis and Washington Field Offices are investigating the case, according to the release. They identified Dale Huttle as #299 on its seeking information photos.  

Nearly 900 people have been arrested in connection with the breach since Jan. 6, 2021. Over 275 have been charged with assaulting or impeding law enforcement, according to the FBI. The investigation is ongoing.