Indiana men’s basketball moves up to No. 10 in AP Poll ahead of matchup with No. 18 North Carolina

<p>Graduate forward Race Thompson pauses at the end of the court the Nov. 3, 2022 at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Indiana. Indiana is ranked No. 10 in the Week 4 AP Poll.</p>

Graduate forward Race Thompson pauses at the end of the court the Nov. 3, 2022 at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Indiana. Indiana is ranked No. 10 in the Week 4 AP Poll.

Indiana men’s basketball was ranked No. 10 in this week’s AP Poll, climbing one spot. 

Indiana passed now-No. 18 University of North Carolina, No. 11 University of Arkansas, No. 14 Gonzaga University and No. 17 Duke University. Now-No. 5 Purdue, No. 8 University of Connecticut and No. 4 University of Arizona moved ahead of Indiana. 

North Carolina, Indiana’s opponent Wednesday, dropped 17 places to No. 18 after losing two games at the Phil Knight Invitational tournament. North Carolina was No. 1 heading into the invitational. 

A variety of preseason tournaments, including the Phil Knight Invitational, the Phil Knight Legacy, Maui Jim Maui Invitational and the Bad Boy Mowers Battle 4 Atlantis, pitted ranked teams against each other early in the season and caused a large shakeup of the rankings. 

Indiana took care of business in its two games last week against easier opposition, winning 87-68 against the University of Arkansas at Little Rock and beating Jackson State University 90-51. 

Indiana will tip off against North Carolina at 9:15 p.m. Wednesday in Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. Indiana Athletics is encouraging fans to wear white and create a white out environment. 

Follow reporters Evan Gerike (@EvanGerike) and Emma Pawlitz (@emmapawlitz) and columnist Bradley Hohulin (@BradleyHohulin) for updates throughout the Indiana men’s basketball season. 

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.