IDS Connect

Helen Rummel named spring 2023 editor-in-chief

Helen Rummel was selected to be the spring IDS 2023 editor-in-chief.

The IU Student Media Publications Board met Friday, Nov. 11 and has elected senior Helen Rummel as the spring 2023 editor-in-chief of the Indiana Daily Student.

Rummel joined the IDS staff her freshman year as a student reporter. She has worked as an arts and news reporter and as a news, managing and investigations editor.

Rummel worked for the Thomson Foundation as a journalism intern and for Chalkbeat Indiana as a reporting intern. In these positions she gained experience creating educational materials for journalists and covering local and statewide stories.

“Increasing our name recognition would help recruitment,” Rummel said in her personal statement.

“However, the more important takeaway from this would be to listen to communities that may have been ignored by the IDS in the past. We must identify aspects of our newsroom we can correct going forward.”

As editor-in-chief, Rummel plans to make sure the IDS considers the responsibly of being Bloomington’s most trusted publication while also fostering a comfortable environment and workplace for students outside the Media School to join.

Rummel plans keep the mission of the IDS at the center of her work -- to make the community a better place. “It has been the driving force of this publication for more than 155 years and it will continue to be what motivates us to keep going,” Rummel said.