politics

Bloomington Mayor John Hamilton announces he will not run for reelection in 2023

Breaking News Filler

Bloomington Mayor John Hamilton announced that he will not be running for reelection in 2023 in a YouTube video sent out in an email from Andrew Krebbs, communications director for the office of the mayor, on Thursday afternoon.  

“Thank you for the privilege of serving as your Mayor," the announcement said. “I look forward to continuing to move our great community forward together.” 

Hamilton said serving two terms and eight years as mayor “felt right.” He said he made the decision not to run again based on what he believed to be the right choice for his family and their future. 

“It's a hard decision,” Hamilton said in the video. “I'm really excited about what's going on in Bloomington and our future, and there's so much more to come.” 

In the announcement, Hamilton thanked friends, supporters and colleagues. 

Hamilton has been in office since January 2016. In the announcement, he cited recent Bloomington accomplishments, including the creation of long-term affordable housing, increased digital access and rising average wages. The mayor's website cites a commitment to improving quality of life and a focus on sustainability and inclusivity. 

"We're kind of in the fourth quarter of the game, and a lot of really good things can happen in the fourth quarter of a game, so I look forward to continued work on that," Hamilton said in the video. "I'm so excited about where Bloomington is we've raised the bar. We're ready to move forward well into the future."