Indiana Daily Student

Bloomington man dies Friday after fire at Evergreen Village

A Bloomington resident died due to injuries sustained in a fire Friday at Evergreen Village assisted-living complex.  

Rickey Harper, 66, died from injuries sustained in the fire, according to an article by the Herald-Times. The cause and manner of death are pending results of an autopsy conducted Nov. 12 in Terre Haute,  Monroe County Coroner Joani Stalcup told the IDS.  

A 911 call alerted authorities of the fire just after midnight. Heavy smoke was coming from the second floor of Evergreen Village when first responders arrived, the article said, with the smoke originating from Harper’s apartment.  

Bloomington Fire Department Chief Jason Moore said in an email the cause of the fire was likely smoking in bed while using oxygen. Moore said BFD arrived on the scene at 12:11 a.m., and the building’s sprinkler system kept the fire contained to the area of origin.  

Firefighters located Harper inside, and he was taken by ambulance to IU Health Bloomington Hospital. Harper was pronounced dead at 1:15 a.m.  

People should avoid smoking indoors, and should make sure to properly dispose of smoking materials, Moore said. If on oxygen, people should avoid direct flames that could react with the oxygen and cause serious burns. 

Along with the Bloomington Fire Department, Bloomington Police Department Chief Ryan Pedigo said the Bloomington Police Department responded to the fire at 12:04 a.m. and assisted in evacuating other residents. 

This article will be updated. 

Like what you're reading?

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.

Signup today!
Like what you're reading? Support independent, award-winning college journalism on this site. Donate here.

Powered by Solutions by The State News
All Content © 2022 Indiana Daily Student