IU’s ‘Study Breaks’ allow students to take a break and connect with other students 

castudybreak101922.jpg

This school year, the IU Office of Scholarships started holding Study Breaks, a series of academic support events as part of their Hoosier Scholar Experience program.  

The Hoosier Scholars Study Break events, taking place at local coffee shops in the Bloomington area, are an opportunity for students to take a break from studying and connect with other IU students.  

Megan Immerzeel-Davis, associate director of Stewardship and Scholar Engagement for the IU Office of Scholarships, said Study Breaks will be held twice a semester, once during midterms week and once during finals week. 

“Study Breaks are a time for students to reflect during these tough weeks in their studies, take a break if they need it and engage with their fellow scholars,” Immerzeel-Davis said. “Maybe they need to treat themselves to some sugar or caffeine while they’re studying for these finals and midterms.”  

[Related: "Dr. Aaron Carroll promoted IU's mental health initiative, spoke with students at First Thursdays event"]

The Hoosier Scholars Study Break program was first launched by the IU Office of Scholarships during the 2016-17 academic school year. While COVID-19 restrictions forced organizers to modify and limit the events for the past two years, Study Breaks are back in full-swing this school year.  

This fall’s first Hoosier Scholar Study Break was during midterms week on Oct. 12 at Soma Coffeehouse and Juice Bar on Kirkwood Avenue. Students were able to grab a free cup of coffee and sit with other students at tables reserved in the shop.  

IU sophomore Veronica Nguyen attended the first session and said she looks forward to attending again later this semester. 

“The Study Break has been great,” Nguyen said. “People here are really nice, and I like talking to people and getting a break from studying.” 

For IU freshman Natalie Pearlman, the Study Breaks serve as a great way for students to meet people outside of their majors and usual social circles.  

“I think it could get people to be more connected and allow for people who normally wouldn’t like to go out of their way to meet new people,” Pearlman said.  

IU freshman Sanya Goyal described the series as a nice break between classes and said she enjoys the off-campus location.  

“All freshmen live on campus, and I just think that they tend to stay on campus,” Goyal said. "So it’s really nice to explore all these cute spaces in Bloomington and be in the local community.” Goyal said.  

[Related: "What you need to know about navigating life in college as a new student"]

Immerzeel-Davis said the Study Breaks’ locations are meant to both be accessible for students and to support local businesses.  

The next Study Breaks session will be held during finals week at the Soma Coffeehouse and Juice Bar East on Third Street, with the specific date and time to be announced in the upcoming weeks.  

Immerzeel-Davis said 69 students attended the first Study Break, and many students expressed gratitude for the event.  

“I personally love seeing that a lot of our scholars ended up staying at the cafe together, interacting and having that time to socialize and get to know each other,” Immerzell-Davis said. “We encourage all of our Hoosier Scholars to attend these events.”