student life

Guide for those who are new to renting an apartment 

caapartmentguide.jpg

Recycling 

Recycling is an easy way for apartment renters to help the environment, as long as they know how to do it. To be properly recycled, items need to be empty, clean and dry. People commonly try to recycle containers with food left over or Starbucks cups with their watered-down coffee left inside. Take a few extra seconds to evaluate if the container you are trying to recycle can be accepted. Unfortunately, items like greasy pizza boxes are not recyclable. Recyclable materials include plastic, cardboard, paper, glass and metal.  

Reducing electric and utility costs 

There are several feasible ways to reduce electric and utility bill costs while living in an apartment. First, turn off the lights. Opening the blinds and relying on natural lighting, when possible, cuts down on costs and allows apartment renters to receive more sunshine.  

Water bills can also be reduced by taking shorter showers and turning the water off while shaving or brushing one’s teeth. It’s also important to ensure you don’t have any leaky faucets! Try to only do laundry when you have a full load, and even consider letting clothes hang dry.  

Another big cost reducer is unplugging electronics when they aren’t being used. Standby power can add up throughout the year, so try to only plug items in while in use. 

Managing the thermostat or even turning off the air conditioner when you’re not home can also reduce costs. 

Safety 

Staying safe is especially important when living in an off-campus apartment. At night, commuting in groups is recommended.  

IU has a partnership with Lyft to offer students a discounted ride home from 11 p.m. - 3 a.m. every night. To get a $6.50 discount, download the Lyft app and link it to your IU email address. The credits will automatically apply to rides taken in designated areas, according to IU Late Nite rides. 

The IU Police Department provides safety tips including being aware of what’s going on around you, locking up bikes, traveling safely and more. They are available 24/7 at 812-855-1496. 

Taking additional safety measures like having the locks to your apartment changed and making sure all windows lock is also important.  

Mailing Address 

It’s important to make sure to update your mailing address when moving to an apartment so that you don’t miss letters, packages or bills. This can be done on the official USPS website. You’ll need a valid email address and a card to pay a $1.10 charge to change the address, which only takes a few steps of filling out information.