crime & courts

Bloomington man arrested after reported stabbing at westside Kroger on Monday

Crime Filler

A man was arrested for allegedly stabbing another man in the abdomen late Monday night outside of a Kroger on the west side of Bloomington. The victim was taken by ambulance to IU Health Bloomington Hospital for treatment. 

Curtis Martin, 35, was arrested and remanded for aggravated battery, battery with a deadly weapon and resisting law enforcement.  

The 27-year-old victim told police that Martin was standing outside of the grocery store in the 500 block of South Liberty Drive when the victim arrived with his family, Bloomington Police Capt. Ryan Pedigo said. Martin approached the victim, who was standing next to his truck while his family shopped inside, before pulling a knife from a bag.  

Believing Martin was going to slash one of the tires on his truck, the victim tried to grab the knife from Martin, Pedigo said. Martin stabbed the victim in the lower abdomen during the ensuing altercation before fleeing the scene. 

Police found Martin in a wooded area near Baxter Healthcare Pharmaceutical after the Monroe County Sheriff's Office used a drone and a K-9 unit to locate him, Pedigo said. He was taken to IU Health Bloomington Hospital before being transported to the Monroe County Jail. 

Pedigo said Martin had an outstanding warrant for his arrest for charges of possessing methamphetamine and carrying a handgun with a license, which are both level 5 felonies.