sports women's basketball

Indiana women’s basketball assistant coach Ashley Williams leaves for alma mater NC State

spiuwbbwilliams051922.jpg

There’s an opening in the Indiana women’s basketball coaching staff.

Ashley Williams, the Hoosiers’ assistant coach in the 2020-21 and 2021-22 seasons and North Carolina State University alumna, accepted an assistant coaching position at NC State Wednesday night. Williams posted a thank-you tweet to Indiana and head coach Teri Moren Wednesday evening, implying she was leaving but not specifying where she would be going.

NC State released its own statement after Williams’ tweet, making the hire official. Indiana has yet to release a statement.

“Having a former player on your staff that is familiar with your system and way of doing things is always an asset,” NC State head coach Wes Moore said in the statement. “Coming from a program and coach at Indiana that I have great respect for is only a plus.”

Williams played basketball at NC State from 2013 to 2017 and joined Indiana as a graduate student manager from 2017-19. Williams returned to the Hoosiers as an assistant coach in 2020 and played a key role in the team’s two NCAA Sweet Sixteen appearances and consistent Top-25 rankings in the AP Poll. She was also heavily involved in Indiana’s scouting and recruiting processes.

Williams was also tabbed as one of the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association Thirty Under 30 in 2020-21, honoring coaches under the age of 30 for their community service, mentorship and impact on others, professional manner and attitude and professional association involvement.

With Williams’ departure, Indiana is left looking for a new assistant coach as players return for summer training in June.