sports softball

Missed opportunities overshadow individual performances for Indiana softball against Wisconsin

spiusbsidebar040322.jpg

Indiana softball went 1-2 this weekend against Wisconsin, but the team’s offense had many scoring opportunities in the first two games. Left fielder Taylor Minnick, freshman designated hitter and pitcher Brianna Copeland and sophomore second baseman Cora Bassett created most of the chances for the Hoosiers.

Over the three-game series, Minnick had 11 at-bats and capitalized on every appearance she had. During the first game, Minnick hit a two-run RBI in the top of the first inning. Although the Hoosiers lost the first game 7-5, she scored and drove in the most runs of all Indiana players in the game.

In the second game of Friday’s doubleheader, Minnick added four RBIs. She started the game off with an RBI single to right field during the top of the third inning, which sent Copeland home. In her next at bat at the top of the fifth inning, Minnick hit a three-run home run to secure a 7-4 win for the Hoosiers.

In the series finale Sunday, Minnick made her mark in the final inning. She hit an RBI single in the closing stages, which sent junior outfielder Abby Meeks home and advanced Copeland to third base to keep the Hoosiers alive. Despite her contribution, the Hoosiers suffered a 6-2 loss.  

Minnick now has a .429 batting average with Indiana this season with a 1.238 OPS, 15 hits and 12 RBIs in 11 at-bats. 

Related: [Indiana softball goes 1-2 at Wisconsin, falls to 2-4 in Big Ten play]

Copeland started off the series with a home run in the top of the seventh inning to keep the Hoosiers within reach of the Badgers’ lead in the first game before a 7-5 loss. 

In the second game, Copeland had two hits, two runs and four RBIs in five at-bats. Copeland first hit an RBI double in the top of the third inning to tie the game 2-2. She then advanced home from a Minnick RBI to give the Hoosiers a 3-2 lead.

Copeland now has a .400 batting average, 1.296 OPS, 24 hits and 20 RBIs in 60 at-bats this season.

Bassett continued her strong season in the series against Wisconsin. She scored the first run of the first game with an inside-the-park home run after an error was committed by Wisconsin in  right field to give Indiana a 1-0 lead early. 

During the second game, Bassett posted two hits and scored two runs while on base for the Hoosiers. 

Bassett has a .440 batting average, 1.410 OPS, 38 runs, 41 hits and 23 RBIs in 93 at-bats for Indiana this season. 

Without Bassett, Copeland and Minnick, Indiana would have been outscored 17-3 by Wisconsin throughout the series compared to the final series score of 17-14. The Hoosiers were doomed by inconsistent play and failure to convert with runners in scoring positions.

Indiana will play its next series back home at Andy Mohr Field against Rutgers from April 8-10.