arts music

WIUX Music Market showcases local bands, new music

entmusicmarket032722.JPG

As students and visitors entered Franklin Hall on March 26, their gaze immediately shifted to Presidents Hall. From noon to 7 p.m., local bands rocked out their feelings at WIUX’s Music Market.

“This is mostly focused on being a community event where we can all have fun and give exposure to these local artists,” Ian Ausdal, WIUX’s vice president of external affairs, said. 

Local bands ForeDaze, Westhead, Six Foot Blonde and Namen Namen performed across different genres, but they focused mostly on indie rock. Post Sex Nachos, a boy band from Missouri, and Jackie Hayes, an indie singer from Illinois, also performed. 

In between musical sets, audience members gathered around tables of local vendors and artisan-made items. 

Indianapolis tea manufacturer Aahaa Chai, sold tea and coffee house products, and clothing company Gonzo Hydraulica sold clothing. There was also a booth selling WIUX merchandise. 

Related: [Millaze’s album release party swept audience into a factory in the clouds]

Forsythia Farm also sold yarn at their booth. Carol Ahmann, the proprietor of Forsythia Farm, said she spins and sells yarn made out of the fur of their four alpacas and 10 rabbits. 

The event’s focus shifted towards the local community, unlike WIUX’s past event, Culture Shock. Culture Shock was globally focused, WIUX Special Events Director Anya Heminger said. 

After being surrounded by their friends in the crowd, Westhead poured out their feelings into songs from their album “And Just Like That” as the band members moved in unison. They played original songs, a few covers, and one unreleased original. 

During their set, Max DiFrisco and Jimmy Diskin, two members of Westhead, had a conversation about love at first sight. Ausdal called their set electric. 

Post Sex Nachos made their Bloomington debut as their music transitioned from soft to rock in a matter of seconds. They ranged from funk to techno to rock while hanging out on stage. 

After asking the audience to come closer to the stage, they proceeded to play “Come a Little Closer.” A band member said their performance is a “series of bits” while they conversed between their songs.

Post Sex Nachos related to the Indiana audience in their song, “Midwest Daze” and explained that it represents feeling geographically and emotionally stuck. Ausdal described them as exotic compared to the other performances. 

Related: [IU alumnae redefine the horror genre with short film ‘White Elephant’]

Jackie Hayes performed for her second time in Bloomington. Hayes said her performance is an album listening party since she hadn’t played most of the songs yet. 

After the lights dimmed in Presidents Hall, Namen Namen performed a rock set that incited headbanging from the audience and a miniature mosh pit at one point. The band members danced while they played, making chaos into beautiful music. 

Six Foot Blonde was the only band to introduce a trumpet and saxophone as part of their band. The members laughed during their performance, seeming to be at peace while rocking out. Their songs ranged from a jazz serenade to gritty rock songs. They ended on Julia Rusyniak’s soft yet electric voice during a cover of “Crazy” by Gnarls Barkley.