arts weekend

COLUMN: Five places you may overlook while doing spring cleaning

entcleankend033122-illo

The sun is shining, the birds are chirping. It’s a time for fresh starts, and that includes your college home. It’s spring cleaning time, and here are five cleaning things you may be overlooking to add to your clean-up to-do list. 

1. Cleaning your shower head 

While you’re spraying down your shower or bathtub, don’t ignore the shower head. If your shower head can be removed, remove it and then soak it into a bowl with white vinegar. After it soaked for a few hours, you can scrub it with a sponge and reattach it. Turn the water on and let the water run through.

If the shower head won’t come off, fill a sandwich bag with some white vinegar and wrap it around the shower head, securing it with a hair tie or rubber band. Again let it soak, and follow the same instructions. 

2. Getting rid of clothes you don’t wear or books you don’t read 

A weekend would be a perfect time to go through your clothing and book shelf and downsize a bit. Marie Kondo has a great method for this, which involves tidying up by category, not location and keeping things that “speak to the heart and discard items that no longer spark joy.” 

3. Clean your car

Along with your living space, if you own a car, it can easily become a place where you leave a lot of trash or random items. Take some time to clear everything out of it, vacuum it and even buy some car polishing wipes to really get the inside sparkling again.  

4. Vacuum your couches 

Couches are a great place for hanging out and napping, but also for dirt, food crumbs and dust. So, use those attachments on your vacuum and clean the cushions. Make sure to get into all the cracks and crevices.  

5. Dust blinds and air ducts 

Spring can also mean the start of allergies again. One way you can help yourself out is by dusting your spaces. Two places that may easily go undusted are blinds and air ducts. I’d recommend getting a Swiffer Duster that can be adjusted to get the hard-to-reach places.  Alternatively, you can attach your duster to a broom handle using a rubber band and clean that way.