Support the Indiana Daily Student to beat Purdue's student newspaper, the Exponent, through making a donation to the IDS Legacy Fund! Whichever publication raises more money before the Purdue v. IU football game Nov. 26 "wins" the challenge, but all donations go to support student journalism at the respective publications. To help IU beat Purdue and support the IDS, follow this link to donate.

Permit no longer required to carry a handgun in Indiana

<p></p>

Indiana Governor Eric Holcomb signed House Bill 1296 into law Monday, dictating Indiana residents are no longer required to have a permit to carry a handgun. 

Under the new law, people 18 and older can legally purchase a handgun without a background check. 

Firearm permits will continue to be available free of charge to those who want them, Holcomb said in a statement.

“We will continue to encourage citizens to apply for and maintain a firearms permit,” Doug Carter, Indiana State Police superintendent, said. “A permit will assist law enforcement officers and will also allow a permit holder reciprocity with other states.”

HB 1296 has faced opposition from Indiana law enforcement. Representatives from multiple police organizations in Indiana testified against the bill, citing that it would make it harder for police to identify who is lawfully carrying a firearm, according to the Indy Star.

“It’s important to note that if a person is prohibited under federal or state laws from possessing a firearm before this law goes into effect, that person will still be prohibited. And if a prohibited person has a firearm, he or she can be prosecuted,” Holcomb said. 

Carrying a firearm without a permit, sometimes called Constitutional Carry, is already legal in 15 other states, according to World Population Review.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.