sports swimming & diving

Indiana swim and dive sending 14 divers to NCAA Zone C Diving Championships

spiusdpreview030622.jpg

Indiana diving will compete in the NCAA Zone C Diving Championships from Monday through Wednesday at the Donald B. Canham Natatorium in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Monday’s events will begin at 1 p.m.

The Hoosiers have 10 female and four male divers looking to qualify for their respective national meets, which take place March 16 for the women and March 23 for the men in Atlanta, Georgia. The divers will compete in the 1-meter, 3-meter and platform diving events on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, respectively. 

Indiana was the only program to have a top-three finisher in every diving event during the women’s and men’s Big Ten 2022 Championships. Diving accounted for a significant portion of the Hoosiers’ overall scores, helping the men to their 28th title and the women to a third-place finish.  

"The entire team has qualified for this first round of the NCAA championships," Indiana diving coach Drew Johansen said. "We are focused on finishing dives and advancing with hopes of building some momentum towards Atlanta."

While divers will automatically qualify for the national competition by finishing amongst the top performers in each event, divers can also qualify for additional events by finishing top-12 in those events.

Related: [Indiana men's swim and dive wins its first Big Ten Championship since 2019]

In the 1-meter event, there are nine qualifying spots for men and women, respectively. In the 3-meter event, there are nine qualifying spots for the men and 10 for the women. In the platform dive, there are 11 spots available for men and nine for women.

All 14 Hoosiers attending will compete in the 1-meter dive event Monday. Tuesday’s 3-meter dive will also begin at 1 p.m., with 12 divers competing for the Hoosiers.  To conclude the qualifiers, eight Indiana divers will compete in the platform dive at 11 a.m. Wednesday. 

The championships will feature some of Indiana’s best performers, with sophomore Anne Fowler competing in the 1-meter and 3-meter dives, sophomore Tarrin Gilliland competing in the 1-meter, 3-meter and platform events and senior Kristen Hayden competing in the 1-meter, 3-meter and platform dive. These three women have each won Big Ten Diver of the Week honors during the regular season and have continued to excel on the board for Indiana. 

For the men, the freshmen trio of Carson Tyler, Quinn Henniger and Lenin Hibler will also look to have strong showings, with Tyler and Henniger diving in all three events and Hibler competing in the 1-meter dive.

Tyler has three Big Ten weekly honors, twice as the diver of the week and once as the Big Ten Freshman of the Week. 

Additionally, senior Andrew Capobianco will compete in the 1-meter, 3-meter and platform events. At the Big Ten Men’s Championships, Capobianco swept all three of his events. He became the first Big Ten diver to sweep all his events since 2011 with his performance at the Big Ten Men’s 2022 Championships. To add to his accolades, he has five-career Big Ten weekly awards and was named the Diver of the Big Ten Men’s 2022 Championships. 

The three-day competition begins at 1 p.m. Monday with the 1-meter dive. Live results can be found at DiveMeets.