sports swimming & diving

Indiana men’s divers perform well in qualifiers, secure spots in NCAA Championships

spiumsdrecap030922.jpg

Indiana men’s diving had a successful performance at the NCAA Zone C Diving Championships from Monday to Wednesday at the Donald B. Canham Natatorium in Ann Arbor, Michigan, leading the team to a total of nine automatic qualifying bids for the NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships across the three days of competition.

"It was a great week for the Hoosiers,” Indiana head diving coach Drew Johansen said. 

In the men’s 3-meter dive on Monday, three of Indiana’s divers grabbed spots within the top four to secure NCAA Automatic Qualifiers for the NCAA Championships. Freshmen Carson Tyler and Quinn Henninger secured their first-career NCAA Championship bids, placing first and second with scores of 836.40 and 833.00, respectively. Senior and reigning NCAA 3-meter champion Andrew Capobianco secured fourth place, scoring a 911.85 to round out the 3-meter dive for the Hoosiers. 

In Tuesday’s 1-meter dive, Indiana earned three qualifying spots. Henninger grabbed second with a score of 722.20, Capobianco secured fourth with a score of 718.35 and Tyler came in fifth place, marking a 718.25.

All three Hoosier men’s divers carried over their strong efforts into Wednesday’s platform dive event. Tyler took second place with a score of 823.30, Henninger grabbed fifth with a mark of 763.20, and Capobianco closed it out for Indiana with a sixth-place finish, marking a score of 753.70. All scored earned bids for the NCAA Championships.

“This great team culture that we have, and all the team spirit we felt at the pool this week was because of their leadership and what they've done during their time at IU," Johansen said.

Indiana now looks ahead to the final event of the collegiate season: the 2022 NCAA Men’s Swimming and Diving Championships at McAuley Aquatic Center in Atlanta, Georgia, from March 23-26.