bloomington

City installs Eagleson Avenue signs, replacing Jordan Avenue

carename020222_1-jpg.jpg

The City of Bloomington replaced all Jordan Avenue signs with Eagleson Avenue signs Tuesday, according to a City of Bloomington news release.

Bloomington City Council approved the renaming of the city-owned portion of street signs to Eagleson Avenue in November 2021. The change affected the city-owned section of Jordan Avenue from Davis Street to 17th Street as well as the portion of the street owned by IU. 

The university owns the portion of the avenue which runs from Law Lane to 17th Street. The IU Board of Trustees moved to change the name of its portion to Eagleson as well in December 2021.

Due to increased public health and safety concerns, the formal dedication event will be postponed until the spring, according to the release.

The Eagleson family holds a distinguished position both in IU and Bloomington’s history. The family included IU’s first Black athlete and first Black female graduate, the Monroe County Woman of the Century and a member of the Tuskegee Airmen during World War II.

“Today, we celebrate and honor the significant contributions made by the Eagleson family to Bloomington and with this street name change we illustrate our community’s core values,” Bloomington Mayor John Hamilton said in the release.