Black Voices

Ask Black Voices: What are some easy meals I can make as a college student?

bvaskbv2021722.jpg

Balling on a budget is literally the motto of a college student. Budgeting and watching our spending habits are things we are all familiar with. But if there’s one thing we are going to do, it’s eat. College students love to eat. From junk food to clean food, we eat it all every now and then.

Whether you’re a cook or a drive-thru fanatic, food is a part of our daily lives.

Personally, food is one of my favorite things. Food brings me joy, as it does for most people. Cooking is one of my greatest pastimes. It is a stress reliever for me. 

Some good music and tasty ingredients make for a great dining experience. 

As a college student, I am always looking for a quick and simple meal to make at home. I have stumbled upon so many recipes which I continue to make to this day because they are clean, quick, and easy. They take minimal ingredients. 

Some of my favorite sites to grab quick recipes from are Allrecipes, Food Network and Delish

Here are some recipes I make faithfully: 

Mashed Chickpea Salad

Ingredients: 

• 1 Can of chickpeas

• Mayonnaise (of choice)

• Celery

• Onion

• Dijon mustard

• Seasonings of choice

• Lemon juice

• Bread, wrap, or crackers (of choice)

Step 1: Drain your chickpeas. Boil or cook your chickpeas on medium heat until they are tender and soft. While your chickpeas are cooking, chop up your vegetables. Set them to the side.

Step 2: Once chickpeas are done, mash your chickpeas with a fork in a large bowl. Once mashed, add your chopped vegetables and stir. 

Step 3: Add in ⅓ cup of your mayonnaise, 1-2 tablespoons of Dijon mustard, and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice. Stir.

Step 4: Serve with your bread, wrap, or crackers. 

Store in the refrigerator for later. 

Veggie Pizza

Ingredients:

• Bell peppers

• Red onion

• Mushrooms (optional)

• Spinach

• Baby tomatoes

• Cheese (for topping; of choice)

• Pizza crust (of choice)

• Pizza sauce

Step 1: Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Prepare your pizza crust. Chop up your bell peppers, baby tomatoes, and onions in slices, not diced. Clean your mushrooms and spinach. Set these to the side.

Step 2: Spread your pizza sauce on the crust. Lay it on to your desired amount. 

Step 3: Layer your vegetables. I place them in this order; spinach, bell peppers, onion, mushrooms, and baby tomatoes. 

Step 4: Add the cheese. As much as you like.

Step 5: Place the pizza in the oven and cook for 12-15 minutes, or until the crust is brown and cheese is melted. Do not burn.

Step 6: Once the pizza is done, let it sit for about eight minutes and enjoy.

Chickpea Rotini Pasta

Ingredients:

• Barilla chickpea pasta

• Butter

• Garlic

• Chicken (of choice; plant-based recommended)

• Heavy whipping cream

• Parmesan and Mozzarella cheese

• Alfredo sauce

• Onion powder, garlic powder, pepper

Step 1: Boil your chickpea pasta on medium heat.

Step 2: While the noodles are boiling, combine alfredo sauce and a cup of each cheese in a pot on low heat. Stir until the cheese is melted into the sauce. Add ½ cup of heavy cream to loosen the mixture. Add cheese to your liking, and cream to loosen to your desired consistency. Turn off the heat once fully mixed and melted.

Step 3: Cook and season your chicken on high heat. Cook until the chicken is crispy and browned. Sit to the side.

Step 4: Drain the noodles once tender. Lightly rinse with cold water and put noodles back into the pot on the stove on low heat. Add 2 tablespoons of butter to the noodles. Stir. 

Step 5: Add the sauce mixture, chicken, and seasonings. Stir.

Step 6: Enjoy—maybe add more parmesan on the top!

Let go of the ramen noodle diet and cook something more fulfilling. 

If you need some more food ideas or just want to stay up to date on what I’m making, follow my cooking page. If you want some more easy college student meals, check out these recipes from The Vegan Atlas and Allrecipes.