student life

‘Such an incredible experience’: IU sororities conduct Bid Night mostly in person

cabidnight011822.jpg

IU sororities conducted some of their Bid Night activities in person Tuesday night, after an entirely virtual event in the spring of 2021. 

Bid Night, typically held at the Tennis Center, is where new members find out what sororities they are invited to join. This year it mostly took place at the respective sorority houses and other locations. 

Maddie Heath, Alpha Gamma Delta vice president of member experience, said in a text Bid Night was held virtually only if the sorority had members who were not able to attend in person. 

The night began with Rho Gammas, student recruitment leaders in the Panhellenic Association, sending emails to each new member letting them know which sororities had given them a bid. 

Most of the 2022 recruitment process was online besides Bid Night, Vice President of Membership at Kappa Alpha Theta Madeline Cory said in a text. 

“We were so thrilled to be able to experience an in-person Bid Night with all our new members,” Cory said in a text. “It was fun to share some of our favorite memories with the new member class.” 

Lindsey Sibell, a new member of Kappa Alpha Theta, said the philanthropy and sisterhood rounds of recruitment being on Zoom was difficult, but she was still able to make strong connections during that time. 

“Bid Night was such an incredible experience,” Sibell said. “When I walked into Theta house I felt like I was on cloud nine, I couldn’t stop smiling.”

Morgan Peller, a member of Sigma Kappa, said she was excited Bid Night was able to be held in person this year and that everyone had a great time experiencing sisterhood together. 

“It was difficult to get comfortable with one another when we were online last year,” Peller said. “When it’s in person it makes the sisters excited and gets the new members excited too.”