Monroe County classified as orange level advisory for COVID-19

Monroe County is classified at an orange advisory level for COVID-19, according to the Indiana State Department of Health’s COVID-19 dashboard. Monroe County reported 90 new positive cases of COVID-19 Dec. 1, according to the dashboard. This is the highest single day increase since January 2021.

The ISDH classifies Monroe County at an orange advisory level, the second-highest advisory level out of the four offered by the state. An orange advisory level signifies medium to high community spread, according to the ISDH website.

Cases are surging across Indiana. Nearly 3,000 new COVID-19 hospitalizations were reported Thursday, the most hospitalizations since Jan. 4, according to the dashboard. Monroe County Health Administrator Penny Caudill said 99% of hospitalizations in Monroe County are unvaccinated individuals during a board of commissioners meeting last week.

Every county in Indiana is classified as either an orange or red advisory level, except for Crawford County, which is classified as a yellow advisory level showcasing moderate community spread.

Stay on top of the COVID-19 and vaccination news. This weekly newsletter will package our coverage of cornavirus news, updates and the critical information you need to know.