arts music

COLUMN: A cozy, non-holiday winter playlist

entwinterplaylist120821-illo

My perfect winter song includes mostly-acoustic instruments, little to no autotune and lyrics related to the symbols of the season.

Thematically, winter-esque songs emphasize warmth, comfort, simplicity, loss and grief. In an effort to diverge from holiday-centric music, I compiled a playlist that explores those wintry themes — because winter is about more than just presents and jingle bells.

“Winter Winds” by Mumford & Sons

The instrumentation in “Winter Winds” perfectly matches the lyrics, as both the music itself and the words balance bittersweetness with a bright outlook. The tune also includes phrases such as “the warmth in your eyes,” “fear of the cold” and “spring swaps snow for leaves,” allowing it to simultaneously explore themes of desperation in winter and the hope of spring.

Finals Week: IU students, faculty share how to overcome finals week

“come out and play” by Billie Eilish

Off the bat, you can hear a fire crackling in the background, which adds warmth to an already sweet-and-cozy tune. Eilish’s signature whisper-singing fits the softness of the inspiring song well, and the lyrics “See snow, won't let it in though/ Leave home, feel the wind blow/ 'Cause it's colder here inside in silence” provide great winter imagery.

“Rivers and Roads” by The Head and the Heart

There’s a melancholiness to winter that I actually really like, and this song perfectly fits that feeling. It’s a song about missing people, and, for some reason I can’t totally explain, winter embodies that feeling.

“Amsterdam” by Coldplay

The first thing you hear in “Amsterdam” is a sound reminiscent of a cold wind. It feels like you’re standing alone on a dark city street. If cold were a sound, the first few seconds of this song are it. The desolate piano comes in not long after, and slowly but surely the song builds to the final percussive minute.

“Men Of Snow” by Ingrid Michaelson

The title, obviously, is very wintry. But it’s the usage of accordion and piano that really sells it; the instruments make the song feel simple. Winter, even when it’s blustery and blizzarding and freezing, can provide clarity in a way that summer, it’s opposite, can’t. To me, summer is loud, unbearably hot and a complete haze.

Films Around Finals: COLUMN: Films coming out around finals you don’t want to miss

But winter slows everything down. I can focus more. I appreciate life a little more. And a good acoustic song, stripped of all unnecessary production, also makes you appreciate life a little more.

“Flightless Bird, American Mouth” by Iron & Wine

A personal favorite, “Flightless Bird, American Mouth” is a real maze in terms of lyrics. It’s taken me years to even begin to really decipher, and it’s as difficult to piece together as a thousand-piece puzzle. But, as life slows down a bit, it's a great time to break down this acoustic ballad’s meaning. It’s also featured in the 2008 film “Twilight,” which is definitely a movie for the colder months of the year.

“White Winter Hymnal” by Fleet Foxes

The vocal harmonies throughout “White Winter Hymnal” are the real star of the show. They’re full and lush, and something about them sounds rustic. That’s probably because the instrumentation is simple and folksy, allowing the vocals to shine.

“Hello My Old Heart” by The Oh Hellos

Part of this selection has to do with the cover of the EP it’s on. The cover has different shades of brown, which reminds me of bare trees in winter. And lyrics like “Are you still there inside my chest?” and “Oh, I don't wanna be alone/ I wanna find a home” hit on that theme of seeking warmth and comfort in lieu of suffering from loneliness.

“Hold My Hand As I’m Lowered” by Noah And The Whale

This is definitely a smidge depressing, but it’s well worth a listen. “Well, I fell in love with the world in you/ And now I feel holier” is a damn good group of lyrics, and, even though the song discusses death – a common topic associated with winter – those lyrics add the perfect amount of optimism.

“My Little Corner of the World” by Yo La Tengo

This is such a happy and comforting little tune. The vocals are warm, the drum beat is calming and the bassline is soothing. The coffee shop vibes are immaculate.