crime & courts

UPDATE: Four suspects arrested following armed robbery Sunday morning

Four suspects were arrested for their alleged involvement in the armed robbery Sunday morning at the Marathon gas station on East 10th Street.

Allison Edwards, 24, is charged with attempted murder, battery with a deadly weapon and carrying a handgun without a license by a convicted felon. Ceon White, 22, is charged with battery. Chemari Thomas, 20, and Iyanna Donaldson, 23, are also charged with theft. 

All four were booked into the Monroe County Jail.

Officers responded to a weapons complaint around 2:15 a.m. Sunday when a gas station clerk told police the people battered and shot at him before fleeing the store, according to a Bloomington Police Department press release Monday.

Four people entered and refused to leave the gas station as the clerk was closing for the night, according to the release. One woman reportedly opened a bag of chips and began eating them without paying, while another woman took several bags of chips from the store, according to the release. The two women then left to get in their vehicle

The clerk got into an argument with the two men who remained, during which one of them kicked him in the back while the other hit the back of his head with a handgun, according to the release. The individual with the gun then shot at the clerk as the pair fled the scene.

A Monroe County Sheriff’s Office deputy located a vehicle matching the clerk’s description at a gas station near the College Mall, according to the release, and all five occupants of the vehicle were taken in for questioning. Officers found a loaded handgun in the car of the suspects, according to the release. 

The armed robbery was reported to the IU community Sunday morning via two IU-Notify alerts. The first report alerted the IU community about the robbery at 2:25 a.m, telling people to avoid the area. The second report signalled there was no longer a threat at 2:53 a.m.