COLUMN: Remake of sci-fi fantasy film ‘Dune’ revives tale of epic nobility

entdunereview102521-3.jpg

The 2021 film adaptation of Frank Herbert’s classic sci-fi novel “Dune” is an impressive, thought-provoking depiction of terrestrial imperialism through the lens of an enchanting nobleman. 

Sci-fi auteur Denis Villeneuve, whose accolades include the films “Arrival” and “Blade Runner 2049,” stepped into the role of director with a mission to leave the movie legacy of “Dune” better than he found it. With a hefty accumulation of previously failed film adaptations, Villeneuve was left no easy task. 

The story of “Dune” chronicles the journey of young nobleman Paul Atreides, who stands between adolescence and adulthood as he takes on a war between planets and grapples with his government’s rule. 

Set in the year 10191, the Galactic Padishah Empire rules over the warring planets of House Atreides and House Harkonnen in their occupation on Arrakis to extract the spice melange — a naturally occurring substance that enables travelers to navigate through space without moving. 

Audiences are brought into the action of “Dune” immediately as House Atreides is ordered to replace House Harkonnen on Arrakis to extract the coveted spice. 

The first half of the film progresses at a slow, yet revealing pace to show audiences that the young Atreides is not only battling a war against the Harkonnens but a war against himself. 

Young Atreides reveals to his father that he looks upon the empire’s occupation on the desert planet with contempt, showing he does not agree with its control over the indigenous population of Fremen on Arrakis.

Villeneuve’s focus on the oppression imperialism brings to its victims is already far more serious than the infamous 1984 adaptation of “Dune” from director David Lynch, who favored campiness over thoughtfulness. 

Hauntingly beautiful dream sequences also reveal that young Atreides is having visions of the future. This is an occurrence that the empire’s superhuman sisterhood of the Bene Gesserit believe to mean that he is the messianic savior whose abilities will aid in its pursuit of political control. 

When House Atreides finally arrives on Arrakis, it feels like the balance of the world hangs in the hands of the emotionally addled nobleman. 

Lead actor Timothée Chalamet approaches the intensity of young Atreides with a chilling, yet calm demeanor that slowly bubbles into a fit of violent emotion. This standout performance perfectly signals the life or death urgency of catastrophe in space. 

“Dune” is still flawed as the film does not spend quite enough time with the antagonists of House Harkonnen to understand the full effect of the war between them and House Atreides. Villeneuve makes up for this, though, with his scathing analysis of imperialism that is lacking from previous adaptations. 

Through breathtaking cinematography and remarkable performances, “Dune” is a powerful criticism of war. Villeneuve managed to depict the sci-fi saga as what it truly is: an allegory to demonstrate the cruel effects of imperialism on vulnerable populations.