bloomington coronavirus

Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb creates public health commission in response to health concerns across the state

capublichealth082321.jpg

Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb signed an executive order Aug. 18 creating a 15-person public health commission which will give every Hoosier access to resources, such as easier access to immunizations, COVID-19 tests and health screenings.

Weaknesses in the public health infrastructure — which is a variety of health resources a community is able to provide — include long wait lines for COVID-19 tests and access to the vaccine. Such issues have become prominent recently to add to other health issues, such as obesity and addiction, being rated highly for decades across Indiana. This commission plans to address other health issues including mortality rates, smoking and cardiovascular health. 

Holcomb said there is a lack of standardization across the 94 different health departments in Indiana, which has allowed for an unbalance of not only resources but staff members within departments.

“We have some departments that have hundreds of staff members, while smaller counties may be lucky to have three to six full-time members,” Indiana Health Commissioner Kris Box said at a news conference Wednesday.

Jon Macy, IU School of Public Health associate professor, said the effects of the commission will be put into place over a long period of time, rather than being immediate. He said it will create an opportunity for the public health infrastructure in Indiana to reach its full potential.

“I think this is more of a long-term look at the public health infrastructure in Indiana and a better understanding of what our strengths and weaknesses are,” Macy said. “Hopefully coming up with an action plan to build on the strengths and address the weaknesses.”

IU students, for example, have access to multiple types of health screenings and resources to stay healthy, such as X-rays and a pharmacy. 

While IU was successful with its COVID-19 testing and quarantining last year, Macy said. Indiana as a state fell behind in the public health rankings.

“I think this is a great thing and something that’s long overdue for Indiana,” Macy said. “As a state, we don’t invest in public health at the levels that we should. Clearly we can do better, and this commission is a step in the right direction.”

Robin Newhouse, IU School of Nursing dean, said this commission will provide more resources for educating public health students and officials within the state. This will make health clinics and testing places a lot stronger in the future.

“It is something that touches us all,” Newhouse said. “There’s got to be some way that not only the assessment but the training about staying healthy is clear and the messages are clear.”

At the college level, the commission will help students struggling with issues like a nicotine addiction, obesity or cardiovascular disease, Newhouse said. Holcomb’s executive order focuses not only on Indiana’s present health standing and data but the future as well.

“He created this vision for the next 100 years for Hoosiers’ health,” Newhouse said. “I think that’s really important to realize. This is not about today. When we think about prevention and public health, it is about our future.”