sports men's soccer

IU men’s soccer alum Armando Betancourt dies at 63

spiumsbetancourt072921.jpg

Armando Betancourt, a three-time All-American from IU men’s soccer, died Wednesday in San Pedro Sula, Honduras, at the age of 63.

Betancourt died of COVID-19, according to Soccer America.

“We lost an IU legend today,” head men’s soccer coach Todd Yeagley said in a press release from IU Athletics. “Armando was a wonderful player with attacking gifts very few players possess.”

Betancourt played for IU men’s soccer from 1979-81, earning All-America honors in all three seasons. He was named Soccer America’s Player of the Decade for the 1980s and received the Hermann Trophy in 1981, given annually to the nation’s top men’s and women’s college soccer player.

He holds the IU record for most points in a season with 63 and second most goals in a single season with 27.

Betancourt received first-team All-America honors during his first season in 1979 after scoring 20 goals and 52 points. He was named a second-team All-American in the 1980 season, where he scored 17 goals and 50 points.

During his final season at IU in 1981, Betancourt was given first-team All-America honors for the second time in his career as he helped lead the Hoosiers to a 20-3 record with his 27 goals and 63 points.

Betancourt joins Ken Snow (1987-90) as the only two players in IU history to have three 50-plus point seasons. He ranks third on IU’s all-time points scored list with 64 goals and 165 total points, despite playing only three seasons with the Hoosiers.

He was also one of three IU players named to Soccer America’s All-Century team in 2000, joining Snow and Angelo DiBernardo (1976-78). He was elected to the IU Hall of Fame in 1992.

“His gifts on the field were special, yet his wonderful personality, incredible smile, humility and compassion for others made him a superstar,” Yeagley said. “For everyone who knew Armando, we all have a heavy heart today but feel so lucky to have called him a friend.”