administration student life

IU-Bloomington announces 2021 fall break on October 8, cites increased vaccination rates

Breaking News Filler

IU-Bloomington will have a fall break in the fall 2021 semester. The campus announced in a Tweet Wednesday there will be no classes Friday, Oct. 8, due to the increased number of people vaccinated for COVID-19 in the community.

The break will only apply to the Bloomington campus, IU spokesperson Chuck Carney said in an email to the Indiana Daily Student.

This additional day off allows for the traditional three day weekend fall break IU-B students had in previous years.

IU will announce any recommendations about travel due to COVID-19 closer to the break, Carney said.

IU students did not have fall or spring break in the 2020-21 school year in an effort to minimize travel due to COVID-19 concerns.

IU-Bloomington will likely have a week-long spring break and a week-long Thanksgiving break in the 2021-22 school year similar to previous years, IU Provost Lauren Robel said in a Bloomington Faculty Council meeting April 6.

In December 2020, IU announced three wellness days for the 2021 spring semester on all campuses after students voiced complaints about the difficulty of the fall semester without a fall break. IU students did not have a spring break in 2021, instead having three wellness days where classes were not in session.