sports men's soccer

IU men’s soccer concedes late goal, falls to Northwestern 1-0

spiumsrecap022721.jpg

IU men’s soccer lost its first game of the season on Saturday after an 88th minute throw-in gave Northwestern a 1-0 lead.

The first goal IU conceded on the season put Northwestern ahead and handed IU a loss in its first true road game of the year.

Northwestern’s goal came off a long throw-in that fell to sophomore forward Ugo Achara Jr. Achara’s shot bounced off senior defender Spencer Glass and into the back of the net.

The loss was IU’s first against Northwestern in 14 games dating back to 2009. IU had won eight and drawn six. 

After the Hoosiers’ victory over Ohio State on Tuesday, head coach Todd Yeagley said he was still looking for his team to put together a full 90-minute performance.

It didn’t come against Northwestern, despite leading the game in nearly all statistical categories except shots on goal.

Although IU outshot Northwestern 17-8, IU only had five shots on target compared to Northwestern’s six.

The Hoosiers created their best chance to score in the 85th minute when sophomore forward Ryan Wittenbrink found sophomore forward Maouloune Goumballe on a cross attempt. Goumballe mishit the ball and missed a wide-open net from a yard out.

The Wildcats created a similar chance in the 58th minute after a rebound shot hit off the crossbar before IU was able to clear the ball away.

Despite having 10 shots in the first half, IU only had two shots on goal. Neither created a problem for Northwestern.

The best first half chance came from Northwestern in the 23rd minute on a shot that was kick saved by sophomore keeper Roman Celentano.

Both teams played slow and sloppy throughout the game, providing opportunities for the other to take advantage of mistakes. 

Neither team capitalized until Northwestern’s late winner.

Sophomore striker Victor Bezerra, who left Tuesday’s game against Ohio State with a leg injury, didn’t start for IU. Bezerra leads IU with four goals on the season, and he was not at full strength in Saturday’s game.

The Hoosiers are now 2-1 on the season and next face No. 20 Penn State on March 7 in Bloomington.