IU field hockey falls to Rutgers, Iowa on first weekend of competition

<p>Then-sophomore midfielder Mary Kate Kesler runs downfield Sept. 7, 2020, at IU Field Hockey Complex. The Hoosiers lost their season opener 3-0 to the Rutgers Scarlet Knights on Friday in Virginia Beach, Virginia. </p>

Then-sophomore midfielder Mary Kate Kesler runs downfield Sept. 7, 2020, at IU Field Hockey Complex. The Hoosiers lost their season opener 3-0 to the Rutgers Scarlet Knights on Friday in Virginia Beach, Virginia.

IU field hockey fell to Rutgers and Iowa this weekend at the Virginia Beach Sportsplex in Virginia Beach, Virginia. 

The team fell 3-0 to the Scarlet Knights on Friday, with five freshmen making their first career starts. Of these freshmen, forward Meghan Dillon and midfield/forward Anna Gwiazdzinski recorded shots, while goalkeeper Shannon McNally had nine saves. 

IU recorded one shot on goal, while Rutgers recorded 12 in the matchup. 

The Hoosiers then faced the Iowa Hawkeyes on Saturday, losing 1-0. Iowa sophomore midfield/forward Sofie Stribos found the Hoosiers’ net in the final three minutes of the game thanks to an assist from her sister.

IU had no shots on Saturday, while Iowa had 17 shots and 8 shots on goal. 

McNally recorded six saves against the Hawkeyes, with senior goalkeeper Sachi Ananias playing on the field for the Hoosiers. 

IU returns to play March 5 against Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan, before travelling to East Lansing, Michigan, to face off with Michigan State on March 7.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.

Comments